Sign in to follow this  
tdpriest

Shallow shark

How would you handle the light from the sun?

post-4522-1280191289.jpg

This is uncropped, but desaturated and with a little green removed from the image.

Tim

:)

post-4522-1280191484.jpg

Has the image posted? I had a strange error from my browser...

Tim

post-4522-1280191842.jpg

Edited by tdpriest

Faster shutter speed or not at such an upward angle.

Wait for the shark to have moved a bit closer, so it obscured the brightness of the sun

Its all too easy to say after the event.

Stew

what were your settings here? A faster shutter speed and more open fstop (to compensate for the darker result at the bottom of the photo) would help but the main thing would be to try to get the sun further out of the frame... obviously not easy in that particular circumstance as you can't tell the shark where to swim :)

what were your settings here?

1/250, f8 (set up for a strobe shot which didn't come off)...

... I guess the message is to shoot what you intended to, and not go for the serendipitous shot!

Tim

ISO 100, 1/250th, f9-f10, Strobes on 2/3-3/4 power and waited for the shark to be really close and try and capture the shark in the middle of the sunburst.

Regards Mark

Hey Tim,

I'd try bringing the exposure up on the shark, maybe 3/4 to a full stop. Either use the adjustment brush in Lightroom or do a mask in PS. If you're in LR you could try using the recovery slider to bring out a lot more detail in the sun burst too. I played with it on the low res image and the data is in there.

Just a thought,

Steve

I forgot to ask are you after post production suggestions or suggestions for settings when your shooting next.

Regards Mark

I was just thinking about the images that don't quite work (ie 9/10 of what I shoot), and whether it's worth persisting with them.

post-4522-1298212250.jpg

This is the image that I had been trying to take, actually from the lemon shark's previous pass. I'd guessed at the EV reduction to shoot into the sun and got it wrong. I'm not sure that my D200 could have done much better at holding onto both shadow and highlight detail, although my Adobe-RGB image on my own monitor is better than the sRGB that appears on the web, which matches Steve's comment.

Isn't it curious how an old post suddenly comes back to life?

I think that we should put up our failures as well as our successes!

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest

I think that we should put up our failures as well as our successes!

Tim

;)

I do that already Tim I just dont say what category they are in when I post them.

Stew

Was your original shot in RAW? If so, you can often salvage more from a shot like this than you might think.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements