Sign in to follow this  
paquito

La Paz

Hey All,

I did a search here and some of the information for Baja came up, but I didnt see as many specifics for La Paz.

bajaexpeditions was one recommendation I saw, can anyone elaborate or give any other suggestions?

We are looking to plan a land-based stay for about 5 nights. I understand the boat rides may be long, but my wife has ruled out a liveaboard for this one. So even if a liveaboard is the way to go (and we have enjoyed dozens of them) - its not going to happen on this trip. We would love it if there was any shore diving wherever we would stay and take the dive boats out for about 3 of the days during the time we were there. Any place nice, clean, wifi, and any sort of hiking around or biking would be ideal. We are not as much into the party scene anymore so it doesnt need to be "in town". Ideally quiet, with a dive operator on site, large or small scale even a home/villa rental is fine.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks!

paquito

Another vote for Club Cantamar. Been there 3 times and loved the whole operation.

Been going every Sept for about 20 years.

Baja expeditions.

Have done a few day trips with the other mentioned. They are good, but I would stick with Baja Expeditions.

Have always loved the hotel Los Arcos. They have been on strike for several years though. We now stay at La Perla.

Some of the out of town hotels are nice, but a long walk to downtown.

Thanks Guys.

As a side request; Any chance there could be some decent hiking in the area during the down times? We used to be content with bellying up and chilling for the rest of the afternoon/evening, but now as we age we're feeling older an want to get out and about. We are into nature more than ever now and we totally be up to do hikes for the afternoons; enjoy some countryside sunset photos, and put in some good, active days.

Any chance of that (not knowing what the scenery and topography in the area is) or is it pretty flat and straight forward? This might not have been a priority during your stays, so as mentioned, just a side note.

Thanks!

Club Cantamar is out in the desert and there should be some interesting hikes available, low rolling hills near the water. On boat diving days, you won't get back to the hotel until late in the afternoon, which doesn't leave much time for such foolish activities. Other hotels are an hour further from the dive sites than Cantamar, but I don't know what their boat schedules are like.

Edited by jlyle

Summer and early fall are brutally hot. Not sure about hiking.

The water front is quite extensive and interesting. You can walk a long way. We usually find ourselves walking it and doing 12 ounce curls.

Summer and early fall are brutally hot. Not sure about hiking.

thanks guys.

And the heat doesn't actually bother us, we've done multiple days if many multi-mile hikes in Zion national with daily 100 deg temps. Except for the narrows that is, nice and cool in there :).

if we can't find a lot of hiking, Club cantamar claims to have the coldest coronas around? I don't know if I believe it, we will have to put that statement to the test a couple of times;).

Sounds like a good place (la Paz) overall. Thank you again for the positive info!

Have you researched the Cortez Club?

Worth a look www.cortezclub.com

I dived with them a few years ago and was very happy with their operation

The La Concha hotel where they are situated is comfy and of a good standard

La Paz town is awesome, I even found an Irish bar and got to drink some ice cold Guinness.

Nige Wade

Have you researched the Cortez Club?

I dived with them a few years ago and was very happy with their operation

The La Concha hotel where they are situated is comfy and of a good standard

La Paz town is awesome, I even found an Irish bar and got to drink some ice cold Guinness.

Nige Wade

Thank you Nige, I will look into them as well.

I appreciate the help you guys.

The La Concha hotel where they are situated is comfy and of a good standard.

I stayed there in March, and was very happy. There are a couple of images hidden in this gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsdiving/se...57623650428189/

My room was comfortable, but a little shabby. The dayboat operation was pretty good.

Tim

:)

Edited by tdpriest

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements