Sign in to follow this  
Guamrider

Eye of Mine Housing for Gopro Hero hd camera

I've been playing around with the camera/housing and went out and filmed a nurse shark yesterday. My initial impressions are that it will make a great "supplemental" option for getting some unusual shots (angles, entries, etc) as it can be head mounted. Also, for divers that want to just take video, it's a very inexpensive option and has reasonable audio.

Very small, housing good to 100' (I tested it first), very wide angle. Focus is fixed but in testing I got about 5-6 inches from different subject. It definitely needs some type of lcd backing as its hard to frame anything..all guesswork. I also velcroed on a u/r pro filter.

For Mac users you'll have to use MPEG streamclip, or something like that, to convert the MPEG4 to prores or whatever format you edit in.

http://vimeo.com/13970363

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/prof/index.html.

[vimeohd][/13970363[/vimeohd]

[embedded video -mod]

Thanks for posting that- good to see. I have a couple of these on order with a view to playing around with stereoscopic 3D. Seems to white balance pretty reasonably with the filter on. Gopro also have an LCD monitor back due out soon, which should make the framing somewhat easier!

Meeting with the manufacturers next week at a convention here in San Diego. Their 3D housing won't be ready until late fall or early Dec.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Good info. Any chance you could also find out about release of the LCD back.? Also any plans for OEM flat port adaptation on the 3D housing?

Cheers

Fergus

Guam, any chance you can post a pic of how you attached the filter?

Fergi.......I will definately ask about it. Just wrote it down so I won't forget. I am hoping reps from Eye of Mine will also be there.

Steve

Edited by steve

Guam, any chance you can post a pic of how you attached the filter?

Steve, This is Pete..sent you an email a while ago. I had an old Apbhibico rectangular glass filter and actually velcroed it to the lens around the edges. Total juryrigged, but it held on for my purposes. I also tried a magic filter that I had mounted in an old filter frame. I posted it here: http://vimeo.com/14112242

Edited by Guamrider

Okay, met with them all today at the show. Very nice people and well informed. Right now the LED back is still in R & D and should be ready by Dec. This goes for the 3D housing as well. They did have a 3D prototype housing and were showing footage on their TV monitor supplying viewers with the correct glasses. It looked pretty good and the 3D really kicked in with any subject about 4 feet away. Subjects in the distance didn't have that same 3 dimensional feel, but remember that this is only a prototype. There are other areas for improvements that they are also working on but no date on the OEM flat port as yet; they are working with it though. The great thing is that any improvements made will be retro fitted to whats already out there so you won't have to go out and buy a whole new housing. If they went public, I would buy stock as I really think this company is going to blossom big time.

Other manufactures of similar cams/housings were also there and they all gave me models to play and test at home with. The Go Pro is first in line however.

And that's the news for day, Good Night Chet, Good Night David and Stay Classy San Diego.

Steve

I bought an Eyeofmine housing- it leaked 4 minutes into a dive (about 30 feet of water) I sent it back to EOM expressing my concern (not asking for a new camera which the are clear about not providing) The claimed to have tested it and sent it back with a form letter. New camera, new dive, it leaked again- but the most frustrating part is that I lost some potentially precious footage of my 2 boys' first try at diving. If you dig around enough there are similar stories to mine. THANK GOD I got the replacement plan when I bought the second GoPro Hero2 camera!!

I've used the Eye of Mine housing several times without any problems. Sorry you had some.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements