Steve Williams

Which Transparent shrimp is this?

Continuing my tradition of asking questions everyone knows the answer to but me.

4883825443_8587d84d6d.jpg

Which species of Periclimenes is this little guy. I'm seeing a fair amount of confusion on the web related to these and want to get it right for the kids.

Location was the Flores Sea, Indonesia

Any help appreciated,

Steve

Edited by Steve Williams

Periclimenes tosaensis or Periclimenes holthuisi?

sorry I'm not sure. :D

Edited by escape

It would be more accurate to say that everyone gets confused with these, Steve! This group of species is a royal pain but fun. Periclimenes is being split into a number of smaller genera and new species with a saddle on the abdominal hump are being described all the time. I think this is Periclimenes venustus which was just moved into the new genus Ancylomenes.

Thanks for trying Enje, I was finding different ref. that clearly don't look like this guy.

Leslie, you rock! Is there a view of it that would make it easier to be sure? Here is a crop of the image so it's a little easier to see.

4888468394_ab009a8523_o.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Teresa Zubin's site is usually pretty good.

As far as I know there are 2 species with that rounded triangle on the hump - venustus & speciosus. The small dark spots on venustus are royal or dark blue. On specious they're reddish-purple, also the saddle is redder as well.

Ancylomenes venustus -

http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos/crustaceans-G...s-venustus5.jpg

Ancylomenes speciosus -

http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos/crustaceans-G...-speciosus1.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on Ancylomenes Leslie. A whole lot of renaming going on here now :D

Here's the current list of species in Ancylomenes. Some of the most common species have been switched including the Caribbean pedersoni. The ones in bold are the species that are most often photographed

A. adularans - A. aesopius - A. amirantei - A. anthophilus - A. aqabai - A. grandidens - A. holthuisi - A. kobayashii - A. kuboi - A. longicarpus - A. lucasi - A. luteomaculatus - A. magnificus - A. okunoi - A. pedersoni - A. sarasvati - A. speciosus - A. tenuirostris - A. tosaensis - A. venustus

The other large group that's been split off from Periclimenes has been renamed twice, first Kemponia & then Cuapetes --

Cuapetes nilandensis - Cuapetes agag - Cuapetes akiensis - Cuapetes americanus - Cuapetes amymone - Cuapetes anacanthus - Cuapetes andamanensis - Cuapetes calmani - Cuapetes darwiniensis - Cuapetes demani - Cuapetes edwardsi - Cuapetes elegans - Cuapetes ensifrons - Cuapetes grandis - Cuapetes johnsoni - Cuapetes kororensis - Cuapetes lacertae - Cuapetes longirostris - Cuapetes paulsoni - Cuapetes platycheles - Cuapetes rapanui - Cuapetes seychellensis - Cuapetes suvadivensis - Cuapetes tenuipes - Cuapetes ungujaensis

Sponsors

Advertisements