Sign in to follow this  
SimonSpear

Resizing URPRO Filter

Hi all

Has anyone ever tried to re-size a UR PRO filter? I've got some thick plastic 85mm(ish) filters that I've used externally in the past and I wanted to cut them up to reduce the size to 77mm and 72mm which are what I now need. I keep building up to this, but back down at the last minute so I'd welcome any input from anyone else who has re-sized! :crazy:

Cheers, Simon

Might check with a lens maker (like for eye glasses). They should have proper equipment to safety modify the filters without scratching the surface. I recall that one surface is colored & other side is clear. If this is true, color surface may not be scratched or it will become unusable.

Edited by jcclink

Hi all

Has anyone ever tried to re-size a UR PRO filter? I've got some thick plastic 85mm(ish) filters that I've used externally in the past and I wanted to cut them up to reduce the size to 77mm and 72mm which are what I now need. I keep building up to this, but back down at the last minute so I'd welcome any input from anyone else who has re-sized! :crazy:

Cheers, Simon

Something else to consider (lenses for the 7D?) are checking out to see if URPRO has 77mm or 72mm filters that will work, may be wroth the less hassle/money trade off in the long run

http://www.urprofilters.com/storeHome.do

Also Magic Filters are an option.

Thanks guys. Drew URPRO do sell a 77mm filter, but they only do that size in glass and it's like $250+ so I was looking for a cheaper alternative. I've used Magic Filters and I'll probably continue to do so, but I have not found them anywhere near as effective as the URPRO filters.

Cheers, Simon

Any place that makes glasses should be able to cut your len's filter down to size, either for free, or for really cheap. Put an ipod screen protector on both sides of the center of filter to protect the fabrication equipment from scratching the surface of your filter. The fabrication equipment holds the lens in the center. The ipod or cell phone screen protector will prevent scratching.

Edited by Don in Colorado

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements