Sign in to follow this  
ScubaFinland

Where to go to spent the winter diving and photographing?

I´m planning to take a year off from my work and spent the winter somewhere nice and warm diving and relaxing.

But where? That´s the dilemma!

I would like to live someplace safe, quiet, with some other activities as well, not only diving.

Because I´m not a rich man (doing this with my savings), the cost of living and diving should not be high.

As a photographer I don´t want to dive with a group and just follow the quide (possibly going fast). I want to go with my own speed and concentrate on my photography, do my own dives. That means possibility to get air and tanks without hearing ”you always have to dive with a buddy” (of course I would like to have a buddy, a buddy who dives the way I want). It also means that getting to dive sites should not be too difficult.

Has anybody done this? Or heard somebody`s experiences?

Can you recommend where to go?

SOutheast Asia is going to be cheapest area that would make that possible. I've heard that you can stay dirt cheap in places like near Tulumben. And the diving is top notch around in Indonesia. You could then splurge to get out to Komodo, etc.

Would recommend Tulamben too. Tulamben Wreck Divers would assign a guide to 1 small group, or even 1 pax & the guides are unobtrusive & they have an unlimited dive package... There is no time-table to follow, as it is all shore-dives (of course you can arrange of boat dives for other sites, with extra $)...

Think you could look at places with unlimited house-reef dives etc. The rig at Mabul (Seaventures) has this option (if I remember correctly) but for the day trips to Sipadan, you would "have to" dive with the rest of the group but think the dive masters/guides are mostly flexible to let the experienced guests do their own stuff...

www.discoverdominica.com

need i say more.

Big fishes in Costa Rica and Pananmaand then to relax and have more easy dives some trips to carribean islands.

Safe, near, no jet-lag and cheap flights!

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements