Sign in to follow this  
Dave S

Ikelite EV Manual Controller questions

So I'm considering getting a DS51 with manual controller to use as a remote strobe, but I have a few questions for anyone that owns the EV controller.

1) What is the length of the cord that goes from the EV controller to the strobe?

2) Is this cord a normal sync cable, or is it different, or not removable from the controller unit?

Thanks!

Cord is about 22 inches (56 cm) long. The end that conects to the strobe is the normal 5-pin Ike configuration.

Cord is about 22 inches (56 cm) long. The end that conects to the strobe is the normal 5-pin Ike configuration.

As above.

Also one end is hard wired to the unit. There is also a bulkhead to connect to housing (std ike bulkhead). You can't do ttl through it but it will let you use the housing controls for 1 strobe and the controller for the other (in manual) so you can vary the outputs of the strobes when using a dual sync cord. Also hardwired cable is straight not coiled.

Duncan

Thanks, sounds like the Ikelite sync cable extension might be useful in that case.

Dave,

The EV controllers are very, very sensitive; they detect a slave flash from many feet away. My brother-in-law has one on his rig and he can't be anywhere near a shot I'm taking without triggering his strobe. Try one before investing in an extention.

Dave,

The EV controllers are very, very sensitive; they detect a slave flash from many feet away. My brother-in-law has one on his rig and he can't be anywhere near a shot I'm taking without triggering his strobe. Try one before investing in an extention.

Yep, Had great fun when a friend was using one with a compact, I could trigger it from a long way off. You can detune it by partially covering / hooding the sensor.

Thanks jlyle, good to know they're sensitive, but I'd be using it for a remote strobe inside caves and wrecks, so would sometimes need enough cord length to position a strobe around a corner with the EV sensor in view of the on-camera strobes. If they're anything like the slave sensors built in to my Inon strobes, line of sight will still be required.

Thanks jlyle, good to know they're sensitive, but I'd be using it for a remote strobe inside caves and wrecks, so would sometimes need enough cord length to position a strobe around a corner with the EV sensor in view of the on-camera strobes. If they're anything like the slave sensors built in to my Inon strobes, line of sight will still be required.

I could trigger it swimming along in shallow water and strong sunlight (over sand) whilst 6 m behind my friend ...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements