kbrunham

Aggressor Utilia Opinions?

I'm considering booking a trip on the Utilia Aggressor, and am looking to hear any one else's opinion on this liveaboard that has taken it in the past.

How were the cabins, food and of course the photography?

Thanks.

I have never done the aggressor in Utila. But I did a week of diving there about 6 years ago.

I was very disappointed with the health of the reef. Significant damage with most corals dead or close to dead.

Sea mounds were the better dives.

Most go there for the whale sharks. Whale shark snorkels were a zoo. When a shark is sited, about 6 boats approach the shark at full throttle and they chop the throttle right next to the shark and 20 people from each boat jump in. Needless to say the shark dives.....quickly. I was almost hit by a boat when I surfaced.

I went on the Agressor in Utila last January and had a great time.

In terms of diving - lots of different things, interesting formations and overhead environments. In some spots the coral was really too covered in algae to enjoy but I found really nice spots with healthy looking coral. The fish life could have been more... it's really lacking in schools of fish unfortunately. I did get to see a lot of fun stuff though - stick with the DM's on the dives as they will show you everything! Francisco (the DM) found a Spanish Dancer on one of the night dives. Cleaner shrimp, tunicates, angel fish. I never saw a frogfish but they have them. We also saw a whale shark. It was amazing. A lot of people do get in small boats and chase after them but when I went it was just me and one other girl and we got to swim right along with him. He didn't dive and hung out with us... so cool.

The food was great. Merna was the cook and she did a great job. The staff was friendly and a lot of fun. I took my courses with them - up to advanced diver with photography and mixed gasses. With accomodations, well, they could have been a bit better. I stayed in the bunk house (4 bunks) with one other guy. I slept like a baby at night except in the morning we would be riding over large waves and I would wake up in this crazy rocking motion. I suggest getting a cabin that is close to the middle of the boat for that.

The last night the owner of the Agressor took us to his resort and we had dinner and drinks. All in all, it was a great trip.

You can PM me if you want to know more.

Cheers,

Sponsors

Advertisements