maczek

Very annoying phenomenon - dome 8" & canon 17-40

Hi!

I have a problem with Canon 17-40 & Ikelite dome port 8". The problem is when I shoot at shallow depth the lens reflects in a dome and in result the lens shape & inscriptions are captured by the camera.

Here's an example:

mg_4526.jpg

Anyone knows how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Edited by maczek

Are you shooting into the light as this can illuminate the numbers and letters on the front of the lens. You can use felt pen to colour the numbers in or black tape, but I would imagine that it is the angle in relation to the sun/light source that causes it. I had the same issue on a few shots I took of some basking sharks recently. Just an assumption. Did all your shots turn out like this?

Are you shooting into the light as this can illuminate the numbers and letters on the front of the lens. You can use felt pen to colour the numbers in or black tape, but I would imagine that it is the angle in relation to the sun/light source that causes it. I had the same issue on a few shots I took of some basking sharks recently. Just an assumption. Did all your shots turn out like this?

Not all shots turn out like this, but most of them. I never faced such problem before. I had Canon G10 in uw housing and also 5D with 17-40 in Ewa-Marine plastic bag. When I moved to Ikelite and Dome Port 8" this problem appeared :D I'll try felt pen advice :)

Anyway, I found this Q/A related to this issue:

http://www.stephenfrink.com/sf-tips/200801...okina-workflow/

See the article by Stephen Frink - about using black felt material on the front of your lens. It works.

Cheers

James

You can also take a sharpie to the plastic part (not on the lens! :) ). That should help some, but the black flocking material is the best.

Sponsors

Advertisements