pennyjlat

video lights for dslr video!

hey guys,

looking to join the frenzy into shooting video with my nikon d300s. currently have twin sea and sea y110a strobes that have decent focusing lights. I was hoping if anyone had suggestions as far as good video lights in addition to manual white balance. Also, is there an advantage of using some sort of filter over manual white balance or strobe lights. Thanks for the Help!

Joe

hey guys,

looking to join the frenzy into shooting video with my nikon d300s. currently have twin sea and sea y110a strobes that have decent focusing lights. I was hoping if anyone had suggestions as far as good video lights in addition to manual white balance. Also, is there an advantage of using some sort of filter over manual white balance or strobe lights. Thanks for the Help!

Joe

If you use powerful (eg 3000+ Lumens) daylight balanced (eg 6000K) LED or HID video lights with 90 degree or so, even light output (no hotspots) you'll find that the same lights will be good for still and/or video work...thus no need for both stobes and video lights on the same dive. Fantastic for night dives!

That's what I've been using with the Canon 5D2 and now the hacked GH1 for over a year.

The way I have been diving my set ups is my set of 110a strobes for stills, and then a dual set of either Fix 1000 or Sola 600 lights. Works great for macro video.

If you use powerful (eg 3000+ Lumens) daylight balanced (eg 6000K) LED or HID video lights with 90 degree or so, even light output (no hotspots) you'll find that the same lights will be good for still and/or video work...thus no need for both stobes and video lights on the same dive. Fantastic for night dives!

That's what I've been using with the Canon 5D2 and now the hacked GH1 for over a year.

I'm not sure that would work. I tested 2x 3000 lumens on my subject and couldn't get more than 1/60 f4 at ISO800. Plus at that speed with stills, you'd have problems with motion blur, something that a higher shutter speed with strobes would not an as much an issue with.

If one wants to keep ISO under 200 and use small aperture with higher shutter speed for wide angle in daylight on a clear reef, no video light is going to work.

Pennyjlat

Read the video lights primer:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10726

That should answer some of your questions.

Sponsors

Advertisements