Panda

Micro Mesh, scratched dome port polishing

Here's a video of restoring my badly scratched Ikelite 8" dome port using Micro Mesh NC-78-1 polishing kit. It worked brilliantly, I'm so happy with the result.

The scratches were bad enough to be obvious in photos.

I bought the kit from www.thesandpaperman.com.au for $59 delivered. (Australian dollars, freight from QLD to Geelong VIC)

Edited by Panda

Thanks for the video! I have a dome port that needs polishing, but I have been afraid to try this myself. I worried that I'd ruin the port. After seeing how simple and straightforward the process is, I feel confident I could do this as well.

Randall

Here's a video of restoring my badly scratched Ikelite 8" dome port using Micro Mesh NC-78-1 polishing kit. It worked brilliantly, I'm so happy with the result.

The scratches were bad enough to be obvious in photos.

I bought the kit from www.thesandpaperman.com.au for $59 delivered. (Australian dollars, freight from QLD to Geelong VIC)

Excellent. I found some videos of headlight cover polishing but none on dome ports so I thought it was worth recording.

Cool. I did this a couple times and found a tall glass of Irish whiskey helps. :D

As what? Solvent to clean all the dust out of the mesh pads?? ;)

And to the OP: thanks for the video! I've done this myself with the 3-step grit/solution option not Micromesh, but having a video of the actual operation is helpful!

Edited by rtrski

As what? Solvent to clean all the dust out of the mesh pads?? ;)

And to the OP: thanks for the video! I've done this myself with the 3-step grit/solution option not Micromesh, but having a video of the actual operation is helpful!

You can use it to clean the dome, the mesh pads and take the edge off the fact that for most of the project it looks like you're doing something terribly wrong.

Thank you for posting the video!

Thanks. It was easier than I imagined and the final result is sparkly clear.

If you can remove the shade and the dome is acrylic then yes it should work.

really great - i did mine a while ago after a few beers for a little encouragement. but it was surprisingly easy!! and to this day it is as good as the day i bought it.

g and sand around th

using the multiple grades of micromesh is a must and plenty of water. i also use one of those hard sponges to ensure eveness as opposed to the uneven pressure of my hand... oh and keep moving and sand around the afflicted area.

Sponsors

Advertisements