RedSeaDiver

Best focus light that uses AA batteries?

I'm not happy with the big size of my current focusing light so I'm looking for a new one, with the criteria that it must use AA batteries - hoping for suggestions as to which one people think would be the best one that takes AA batteries (so as I can use my existing charging set up).

I'm not happy with the big size of my current focusing light so I'm looking for a new one, with the criteria that it must use AA batteries - hoping for suggestions as to which one people think would be the best one that takes AA batteries (so as I can use my existing charging set up).

I use and recommend the Nocturnal Lights SLX 800i LED Focus Light.

Jim A

It used to be the (discontinued) Fisheye FX48DX which is a more than capable dimmable focus lamp that has an incredibly long burn time (with 8 x 2500 mhr AA's). I found this lamp's maximum brightness to be a little limiting in turbid 'green' water (though perfectly adequate in clear tropical conditions when I would also use the supplied diffuser). I now shoot with the Fisheye FX500DX which has a much reduced burn time but is immeasurably brighter when the wick is turned up...

The FIX 500 or the IVideo. The first uses 8 AA and the second uses only 4. The fix is the only LED light that I know about that has full dimming capabilities.

Both are great.

Bill

There are many lights that use AA:

Fantasea LED44 (5 AA)

Fix 500

Big Blue 1x5

Big Blue 3x5

for a start...

Jack

There are many lights that use AA:

Fantasea LED44 (5 AA)

Fix 500

Big Blue 1x5

Big Blue 3x5

for a start...

Jack

And several of these also have auto flash off - which is very useful. I really like this feature.

DiverPam

I have a FIX 500 and it works great. 8 AA. No auto flash off - which I don't really care about. Nice wide beam and adjustment knob. I bit large but a good light all the same.

I second the Nocturnal SLX 800i. I recently upgraded my old 300 to the 800 and it is awesome. It throws 800 lumens for 2 hours (easy) on 6 Eneloop rechargeables. It comes with wide 90 degree reflectors for spotting light use and tight beam reflectors for torch mode. Durable and great support too. You can buy a demo model from their site for under $350.00.

Dave

I use and recommend the Nocturnal Lights SLX 800i LED Focus Light.

Jim A

I have a Big Blue 1x5 and can recommend it. It's also not a budget breaker and comes with rechargable AA (at least mine did).

I don't consider the Fisheye LED500 to be that great. Seems that they are selling a lot of lemons. Many of them don't seem to work properly right out of the box. I am one of the many who had to send the light back for warranty repair right after I bought it.

I second the Nocturnal SLX 800i. I recently upgraded my old 300 to the 800 and it is awesome. It throws 800 lumens for 2 hours (easy) on 6 Eneloop rechargeables. It comes with wide 90 degree reflectors for spotting light use and tight beam reflectors for torch mode. Durable and great support too. You can buy a demo model from their site for under $350.00.

Dave

I have 2 of these that I use for video with a video rig and I will be adding them to my mk2 rig for use as a focus light/dslr video light

Stew

If all you want is a focus light, it seems that anything over the AAA Fisheye mini LED focus light is overkill..

This thing is the right price, size, and weight in these times when every ounce matters at the airport.

Sponsors

Advertisements