Sign in to follow this  
manta ray

Seatool E3 ports

I just got the Seatool housing for the Olympus E3 yesterday. I'll be going to Bonaire in December. I have the Athena port for the 14-42mm would like to know what port adapter is needed to use this port. I also have the 9-18mm, 50mm macro an d 14-54. I am thinking about the Inon or Athena port for the 50mm, but would like to know hear comments about the best solution for the 9-18 and 14-54. I know Athena makes a 9-18 port but this port seems to be only useful with the 9-18. I was thinking about the maybe a larger dome that works with more lens options. Anyone using the 14-54 or should I be thinking about investing in the 12-60?

Any help would be great. By the way I'll be using Inon D2000 strobes with fiber optics.

I just got the Seatool housing for the Olympus E3 yesterday. I'll be going to Bonaire in December. I have the Athena port for the 14-42mm would like to know what port adapter is needed to use this port. I also have the 9-18mm, 50mm macro an d 14-54. I am thinking about the Inon or Athena port for the 50mm, but would like to know hear comments about the best solution for the 9-18 and 14-54. I know Athena makes a 9-18 port but this port seems to be only useful with the 9-18. I was thinking about the maybe a larger dome that works with more lens options. Anyone using the 14-54 or should I be thinking about investing in the 12-60?

Any help would be great. By the way I'll be using Inon D2000 strobes with fiber optics.

Athena makes an extension to utilize the 14-54 with the 9-18 semi dome. Olympus also makes a port for the 14-54 (flat). The performance is quite nice with the Athena port at the wide end but you loose a lot of the magnification that the flat port offers on the long end. I like using the 14-54 as a fish lens or on dives when I don't know what to expect (macro or wide angle). The Athena 50mm port is very nice as well.

I have used the SeaTool E3 housing since it first came out and these are the combos I like. For the 9 to 18 and 8 mm fisheye the 170 mm Olympus/Athena dome port works very well and does not require extension. a Seatool gear or custom is required for the zoom lens. The 14 to 54 and 12 to 60 zooms will also work with this dome but requires the 7 to 14 extension port and another gear. The Athena port for the 9 to 18 is also good but can only be used for the one lens. For the 50 macro the Inon and Athena ports are both good. The up side to the Inon port is that it only requires one gear if you want to shoot in manual. You can add the extensions for the 1.4 X and 2 X tele converters and still use the same gear. With the Athena port three gears would be required for 50, 1.4 and 2X. The Inon 45 degree finder is also a great addition to the system for macro.

Phil Rudin

I have used the SeaTool E3 housing since it first came out and these are the combos I like. For the 9 to 18 and 8 mm fisheye the 170 mm Olympus/Athena dome port works very well and does not require extension. a Seatool gear or custom is required for the zoom lens. The 14 to 54 and 12 to 60 zooms will also work with this dome but requires the 7 to 14 extension port and another gear. The Athena port for the 9 to 18 is also good but can only be used for the one lens. For the 50 macro the Inon and Athena ports are both good. The up side to the Inon port is that it only requires one gear if you want to shoot in manual. You can add the extensions for the 1.4 X and 2 X tele converters and still use the same gear. With the Athena port three gears would be required for 50, 1.4 and 2X. The Inon 45 degree finder is also a great addition to the system for macro.

Phil Rudin

I assume that a port adapter is needed to fit Olympus and Athena ports to this housing. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Many of the E-3 housings came with the Olympus type port adapter which works with both the Olympus and Athena ports.

Phil Rudin

Many of the E-3 housings came with the Olympus type port adapter which works with both the Olympus and Athena ports.

Phil Rudin

Doesn't look mine came with any adapter at all. I'll call Reef Photo to find out if it was suppose come with it.

Thanks for all the help.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements