Sign in to follow this  
oneyellowtang

Compact system needed for WA & macro (w/strobes)

Taking a unique trip on a sailboat through the northern Cook Islands to Apia (Western Samoa). Weight/space will be at a premium, so I can't take my D300/Aquatica setup.

I'm looking for recommendations for a compact set up (prefer something that allows for dual strobes) w/a camera with as little shutter lag as possible (will be shooting moving reef sharks in several locations, as well doing several swift pass dives).

Might be shooting some macro so would like that flexibility as well.

All camera/housing pairing recommendations appreciated - not (too) worried about cost right now...

Thanks,

- Matt

Can I suggest the Sea & Sea DX-2G - I have one and love it (upgraded from the 1G). I have twin YS27 strobes but if you can I'd go the 110 Alphas.

Karl

For shutter lag, a high end sony P&S would be good. An hx5 or wx1 or wx5. They make their own inexpensive housings for many of them. Ikelite makes housings for them too which are better.

Canon S90, Fisheye/FIX90 housing, FIX 52mm lens port adapter, Fisheye UWL-04 fisheye wide angle lens, dual Inon D2000, UCLS tray if you cannot build your own. The S90 when properly configured has a fast shutter, a fast lens, RAW and the FIX90 housing is superb and worth every cent. That is the number one choice, nothing in the class comes close to the capability and versatility of this camera and housing, at least until FIX releases a housing for the new S95 (??????). If it is wide angle you want, this is the ticket:

P6050322.jpg

DSCF0004-1-1.jpg

IMG_0345_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0032-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0036-1_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0652_edited-1.jpg

See this thread:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forum/vi...?f=22&t=264

My second choice would be the Canon G11 in the FIXG11 housing with the FIX wide port lens and my third choice would be the DX-2G with the Fisheye UWL-04 adapted to the camera per:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gear-informatio...uestions-30896/

James

Edited by crawdad

Without any doubt a Canon G11/G12 or S90 setup with one/two D-2000 strobes.

This cameras are the best what you can get in this moment, giving you full creative "DSLR-Like" control.

Housings range from 200$ Canon OEM housing over the Ikelite 600$ acrylic to the Patima or FIX aluminium housings.

I have the G11 in a Patima housing and am extremly pleased!

Chris

Without any doubt a Canon G11/G12 or S90 setup with one/two D-2000 strobes.

This cameras are the best what you can get in this moment, giving you full creative "DSLR-Like" control.

Housings range from 200$ Canon OEM housing over the Ikelite 600$ acrylic to the Patima or FIX aluminium housings.

I have the G11 in a Patima housing and am extremly pleased!

Chris

What is your wide angle set up with that housing? What wide angle lens do you use?

Could you post some photos taken with the wide angle lens installed?

I can recommend a Panasonic GF-1 in a Seatool (Recsea) housing. Only a bit larger than a compact setup with image quality and shutter lag much closer to what you are used to, along with several lenses and ports if you want them. Similar quality can be had with Olympus EPL1 if you prefer the housings available for that camera.

I hear the 10bar housings for these cameras are substantially improved now, but have no experience with them.

Otherwise, you need to go down to a compact, like the Canon S95 or G12 or maybe a LX3. Only problem is, even with expensive housings and add-on ports and wet lenses, they still have the shutter lag and small sensors of a compact. I would think that would be hard to be happy with if you are used to a D300.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements