Sign in to follow this  
Pfuller

Triggering off camera Strobes - ikelite

I'm currently using a couple of old Ikelite SS200 strobes in manual, and have a third SS200 that i want to trigger (also in manual) off camera.

Ikelites manual controllers say that they only work with DS models. However, can i still use one as just a trigger? I assume that Ikelite say they are for DS only in terms of being able to contoller the output intensity. Is this right?

If i cant use a manaul controller with my SS200's, can anyone recommend another triggering option?

Sorry, you're out of luck. I asked Ikelite about this recently, and here's the response I got.

David,

Thank you for your inquiry. The current EV Manual controller (#4100.6) receives it's power from the newer DS style strobes so unfortunately, the older SubStrobe 50 will not be compatible.

Regards,

John / Ikelite

You need the old red slave sensors - you can still find them on Ebay from time to time.

Otherwise, consider getting some old Ikelite SS150's or 225's on Ebay - they have a built in slave sensor on the front. No idea why Ikelite dropped that built in slave sensor in favor of something extra you have to buy - it's so useful. Now none of their strobes have one :-(

Cheers

James

You need the old red slave sensors - you can still find them on Ebay from time to time.

Otherwise, consider getting some old Ikelite SS150's or 225's on Ebay - they have a built in slave sensor on the front. No idea why Ikelite dropped that built in slave sensor in favor of something extra you have to buy - it's so useful. Now none of their strobes have one :-(

Cheers

James

Alternatively, having the slave sensor separate makes the Ikes really awesome for remote(off-camera) slave strobes because you can place the slave sensor anywhere as long as you have the cable and the strobe itself does not have to point to your main strobes like on my Sea & Seas

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, it would be great if Ike built in sensors to the strobes still. One's that you could turn on and off so you could use a dedicated off-strobe sensor if you wish. (or alternatively have two effective sensors working at the same time.)

I find it odd that the new DS sensors require power from the strobe. Most photo-transistors just create a circuit based on recieving light input. It must be required to power the circuitry that controls the output, but i was hoping you could set it to a full manual mode that would bypass this. Has anyone actually tried hooking up a non-DS strobe to a DS sensor to confirm it doesn't work?

If anyones got an old red sensor trigger to sell, send me a PM.

Limey: I know that - I use both. But why did they have to get rid of the built-in sensors? Couldn't they have just added the remote sensor and let the user decide? It's not like the built-in sensor costs much to manufacture...

Cheers

James

Limey: I know that - I use both. But why did they have to get rid of the built-in sensors? Couldn't they have just added the remote sensor and let the user decide? It's not like the built-in sensor costs much to manufacture...

Cheers

James

yeah, that I can't answer :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements