Sign in to follow this  
mexwell

Sea&Sea Conversion Lens Adapter, anyone???

Hello everybody!

I just bought a Canon S40 plus Canon housing and will take the

system to a first test within the next days.

I know that I need to invest into an external strobe and will discuss this

at a later time with all of you... :-)

Right now I wonder if anybody had the chance to test the sea&sea

conversion lences with any digital camera?

Is the "connection" to the housing any good or is their a good chance

to loose it under water?

Is the picture quality still OK?

Would you recommend this system over the standard package of

your camera?

I am interested in hearing from you.... :P

PS: I LOVE macro pics and taking them will be a main goal of mine!!!

Take care

Christian

Christian,

I assume you're talking about the adapters that Sea & Sea makes that allows you to use their MM2 macro lenses?

I don't have any personal experience with them, but the dive shop where I buy my equipment has had many unhappy customers who feel that the image quality is rather poor. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the macro lenses were originally designed for S&S's cameras, not for the digital housings.

If you're talking about the wide angle conversion lens made by S&S, I have the 0.56x one for my PT-010, and I'm pretty happy with it. You can see some of my pictures at the link below. Most of the reef scenics were taken with the conversion lens on. A nice feature is being able to take it on and off underwater.

Maybe someone else can comment on the Inon macro lens?

Ben

http://www.pbase.com/benkao

I bought the adapter ring but after seeing some photos, I don't think I'm going to buy the lenses to finish the project. See this thread:

http://www.wetpixel.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=423

for some examples of what I'm talking about. If anyone else has any evidence to the contrary, I'd be interested to hear it. Laz also experimented with the setup, maybe he'll jump in if he checks in. I'm pretty happy with the INON lens though it doesn't give you a whole lot of magnification . . .

Mike

I just received the 0.56X and 3T lenses in yesterday. I'll be testing them out in a few days in Cozumel, with 4040 in Oly housing and DS-125. I'll post gallery after returning.

Laz has posted some superb shots here and on steves-digicams.com with the macro lenses. :cool:

I used the 2x macro with a pt10 and I wasn't very impressed. The dead centre of the image is in focus, the rest is wildly ou. Maybe it was just me, found it very difficult to get decnt results although 1 or 2 were good. Look into the INOn lens - I haven't tried it but may be betetr

"Look out below!" [Laz drops in] :P

Hi guys. My 2 cents on some of your S&S lens questions:

I currently own both the 2T and 3T macro lens with the adapter for the PT case. I have also used the 0.56x wide angle lens from both S&S and Inon.

Is the S&S adapter well built and secure? You betcha, sometimes so much that while trying to unscrew the adapter I've also started to unscrew the lens ring too. Thank God I didn't flood my system. Nothing a tiny bit of silicone grease on the treads of the adapter didn't fix.

Now, as far as the 3T lens goes, I've yet to be able to get a full frame photograph completely in focus. I have exhausted every single zoom angle and focusing trick I know and the edges always come out really out of whack. Now, considering the megapixels.. What I have done with some of my images is to crop the outside and keep the center that is in focus. Prints out to approx. a 5 x 6 without any noticeable pixelation. What it will do is offer one heck of a macro feature. Some of my photographs such as this one was shot with the 3T lens:

If you can live with that.. great, if not I wouldn't recommend you purchase this lens.

The 2T lens has worked well for me. It's not an easy lens to work with and I have had the best results shooting in manual focus mode but it works. Here's a photo I shot with the 2T lens:

The S&S wide-angle... I love it. I found working with it much better than the Inon wide angle in that you can actually zoom without blurring the edges of the photo. Plus, it seems to be less susceptible to lens flaring. Not that the Inon is a bad lens, especially with its wider field of view but I was very impressed with the S&S.

Inon macro... It's good and a lot easier to work with than the S&S's but it doesn't have the same magnification capabilities of the S&S's.

Of course, all this is based on using a PT-010/007 case with an Olympus 3040. How it works on Canon could be completely different. This is my OPINION and I am in no way a professional in the matter. I can only offer my 2 cents worth.

Hope I can be of help.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements