karant

NIkon D200 battery door

Has anybody had experience with the battery door becoming loose on their Nikon? I have one that will stay almost closed, but shifts just millimeters and indicates low battery status. When pressing the door, the battery is full, but it is difficult to access this when enlosed in the housing at 100 ft. Is this repairable?

Thanks!

Since the D200 battery door was a designed as a removable one, and given that anything that can be removed can consequently lost, it is more than likely that your local Nikon service center can get one for you. also you can check your local camera repair shop.

1. Clean your battery contacts.

2. Make sure you have the updated the D200 firmware.

3. Use paper to shim the battery in tight and tape the door shut during the dive.

You should be able to order a replacement battery compartment door through any Nikon dealer. I have bought several additional battery compartment doors for my D700's to make an "external" battery for the camera when I use it in my housings. A "dummy" battery, in which there are no battery cells, is placed in the battery compartment. Wires lead to the "external" battery which resides on top of the D700's prism in the housing. This position for the battery will not work if you are using the pop-up flash and fibre-optic sync cables for your flash. I bought the extra battery compartment doors so that I could cut a notch in them for the wires. In the Seacam housings I am using, there is just enough space for the 'external" battery.

This "external" battery arrangement allows me to change camera batteries without removing the camera body from the housing to do this, which makes changing the battery almost as easy as taking out the CF memory card to download the new images. In the normal "Seacam way" to change the camera battery, you must remove the camera body from the housing. In many cases, you first have to remove any ports and extension rings, then take off the lens if if has gears that prevent removal with the body from the back, and then take out the body and replace the battery. Each battery change, which I need to do every day, or every two days, when I was at Lembeh last September, was a very time consuming and required that I be somewhere the sensor was minimally exposed to dust and moisture when I took the lens off. The "external" battery allows me to change the battery almost anywhere. Quickly and easily.

Fred

Sponsors

Advertisements