Sign in to follow this  
StormFX

Which extension for Nikkor 16-35

Hi all !

I decide to exchange my 17-35 with the new 16-35 and not to use 14-24 UW, because I can't use magic filters on this lens and because of sharpness issues. The question is which extension I must use with 16-35, having in mind that the housing is Subal ND3, dome port is DP-FE4. What do you think guys, is this combination will work ? I tried to find answer at Subal web site - Nikon portselection category, but 16-35 lens isn't listed as available choice there. Is the DP-FE4 big enough to guarantee corner sharpness with this lens?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Best regards,

Steve

I got myself a 16-35mm yesterday (besides my 14-24). I have high hopes for this lens. I believe it will perform very good behind a dome because of the small front glass.

Seacam told me to use a 70mm extension ring. They do offer a gear for the 16-25 too. I am sure Subal will offer the same.

Hi all !

I decide to exchange my 17-35 with the new 16-35 and not to use 14-24 UW, because I can't use magic filters on this lens and because of sharpness issues. The question is which extension I must use with 16-35, having in mind that the housing is Subal ND3, dome port is DP-FE4. What do you think guys, is this combination will work ? I tried to find answer at Subal web site - Nikon portselection category, but 16-35 lens isn't listed as available choice there. Is the DP-FE4 big enough to guarantee corner sharpness with this lens?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Best regards,

Steve

I am using a 65mm one I think. But with the Zen 230 dome, rather than FE4. I have never actually tried the lens with the FE4, so I can't comment on what loss their would be versus the 230 dome (Zen or Subal's - it is the same glass). My gut feeling is a fair bit. We may try it with the FE4 port tomorrow - on my friends D3, so I'll let you know.

Your lens choice is good, the 16-35mm certainly out performs the 17-35mm underwater (although on land it is the other way round). I have shot this lens in the Bahamas for both sharks and dolphins, in Norway for scenics and CFWA and now in Mexico with sealions and it has performed really well in all conditions. And I am really happy with it.

Alex

Thank you very much for all the responses and information provided.

I am glad that the decision I made is confirmed by the experiences of others. Especially interesting would be to compare the 230 mm Zen port and DP-FE4 by someone who has experience with both.

Happy diving !

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements