Autopsea

MP_E 65mm Underwater

Hi everyone : )

I recently took my MP-E 65mm underwater. For those who don't know about this lense, it's a macro going from 1:1 to 5:1.

Here are the very first results, some of these shots from freediving.

Some are a bit croped, but I'm happy of the results, even if it's very hard to use underwater.

With the 5D2, 2 strobes. Focus light MUST be on if you want to see anything.

5042624778_b9436cd0df_o.jpg

5041999985_c9a30f5fd5_o.jpg

4977732338_83f9055156_o.jpg

4971589311_4516ee2210_o.jpg

4972201938_b96c6de7a6_o.jpg

4972201516_21dc6d6824_o.jpg

4971584831_aa8e5f0c99_o.jpg

5042624310_ba14e2b3d4_o.jpg

5042624960_1a766787f0_o.jpg

One of my favorite : here is what you get with a 1:1 regular macro lense :

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1074/962001...6ce92c58a_o.jpg

And what you can get with the 65 :

5042625082_780e088f10_o.jpg

Edited by Autopsea

Wonderfully amazing Thomas. Can you say more about why it's so hard to use underwater? Guessing it's the difficulty focusing?

Thanks for sharing these!

Steve

That lens, when extended to the max for 1:5 is about 1.4x longer than when retracted. What port length are you using and what are the limitations?

Nice work btw.

That lens, when extended to the max for 1:5 is about 1.4x longer than when retracted. What port length are you using and what are the limitations?

Nice work btw.

A custom port that can change size. It allow me to go from 2.8:1 to 4.5:1. Of course I have to choose before diving.

It is hard to use because the focus distance is fixed at a few cm in front of the port, is extremly shallow, and the strobes are taking a lot of space around the port. It is then very hard to find a subect that will allow all this massive thing around him. Forgot about taking a photo in a small hole :)

Edited by Autopsea

A friend of mine uses one of these topside with amazing results and i have always told him that i would love to get it underwater. Amazing stuff. You done really well with lighting.

Stew

The image quality on these is truly incredible.

These are just awesome super macro shots!

Really incredible. So you are using a customer port huh? Where can I get one and/or how can I make one? :)

Seriously, I would be very interested in the port, could you write up a post about it?

so forgive me for asking a stupid question, but is this only a canon lens? is there a comparable lens for nikon?

So you are using a customer port huh? Where can I get one and/or how can I make one? :)

Contact Sagadive, mentionning the sizes you need, and for which housing. maximum size have to be not more than 2 times minium size.

so forgive me for asking a stupid question, but is this only a canon lens? is there a comparable lens for nikon?

Canon only, haven't found anyone using this lense on Nikon, but Nikon user can use reversed lenses to get up to 10:1 !

An exemple here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/2545298333/

I recommend you to look at these amazing photos :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser/

Thanks for the comment :) Unfortunately I can't really practice right now, but I will post more next time I go diving !

Edited by Autopsea

So you are pre setting reproduction ratio before going in the water?

Would one not be able to obtain a similar setup with any macro lens, Nikon or Canon and extension tubes?

Great pics!

Edited by loftus

I believe he is talking about this extension port:

http://thurly.net/05e5

Interesting concept except it seems the front portion can actually be screwed off! Imagine that oppsie?

post-1861-1286655320.jpg

Extension tubes lose light, shortens MFD and may affect AF speed. Diopters affect image quality. Teleconverters lose a stop of light and affect AF speed as well.

Still as Autopsea points out with all the issues, it's not really for getting that close ups of shy subjects. The pictures look great.

The idea with that port is that it is a one size fits all macro port, no extension rings required. The length has to be adjusted in air.

MF is an issue because the focus ring moves forward and back as the lens extends. It could be preset at 3:1 or 4:1, though.

The idea with that port is that it is a one size fits all macro port, no extension rings required. The length has to be adjusted in air.

MF is an issue because the focus ring moves forward and back as the lens extends. It could be preset at 3:1 or 4:1, though.

Yes, you have to choose a fixed distance of focus from the port before. This distance is determined by the x you want.

So, at 3:1 you will always have the same focus distance, which is very close.

I'll try to bring a friend to take underwater photos of the setting while in use, and post it here. probably in about 2 weeks.

Edited by Autopsea

Sponsors

Advertisements