Andy Morrison

Housing for a Canon S95?

My dive buddy just purchased a Canon S95 to use underwater. I don't have any experience with the housings for these but I did see with the Ike housing the rear control dial is not operational. Is that a big deal or can you still get to those functions another way? She dives quite a bit here in the Great Lakes and does two or three warm water trips a year, all below 130 feet. I know she won't want to spend the money on a Fix when they come out, so which would you recommend the Ike or the Canon? She will eventually add a wide angle and a strobe. Thanks in advance.

Neither the Canon nor the Ikelite have the rear control dial, the FIX will if and when there is a housing.

Yes, IMO, it is a huge deal, the camera is crippled without the rear control ring direct access and the S button BS is just that, BS. To do the work around, you have to press and hold the S button and manipulate the other buttons and it is all a PITA without the ring control.

You say she will add a strobe (400 to 700 dollars) and a wide angle lens (around 400 to 500 dollars) and she will then need a tray and arms and optical cable etc (250 dollars) so are we sure we are really saving any money vs frustration with the Ikelite vs the FIX?

James

Edited by crawdad

When you say below 130 feet, I am sure you mean shallower than 130' but if you do in fact mean deeper, then the Canon is not a good choice; otherwise:

Between the Ike and the Canon I would probably choose the Canon. I don't think the Ike gives you much more for the added $100.00 cost, and it has some drawbacks. I am sure the control ring on the Fix/Recsea housing is nice, and if cost were not an issue, that would be a much nicer housing and my first choice, but you said that was out of the running price wise (something like $500-$600 more than the Canon housing) and I have not found it that troublesome to utilize the rear control ring functions on the Canon housing.

It's too bad the S95 doesn't have the same dimensions as the S90. I have seen a number of Fix housings for the S90 coming up for sale used and that could be an alternative. Unfortunately though, the S90 housings don't work with the S95.

My dive buddy just purchased a Canon S95 to use underwater. I don't have any experience with the housings for these but I did see with the Ike housing the rear control dial is not operational. Is that a big deal or can you still get to those functions another way? She dives quite a bit here in the Great Lakes and does two or three warm water trips a year, all below 130 feet. I know she won't want to spend the money on a Fix when they come out, so which would you recommend the Ike or the Canon? She will eventually add a wide angle and a strobe. Thanks in advance.

hi what housing did your dive buddy choose and what are her opinions on it, as im still undecided [altho looking at the canon or the recsea]

I use the FisheyeFIX housing for the S90 and the ring controls are very significant. The ability to easily change the settings by jus turning rings (with gloves on) is a big step over pushbuttons and doing two buttons at once is difficult at best. Speaking as a former Ikelite user of over three decades, I can say the FisheyeFIX is a major improvement.

Hi all,

i'm new to Wetpixel, hello to you all.

I'm using S90 with Canon waterproof case. I found my Canon's case started leaking after 10+ dives, i worry about that will flood my S90 one day, (i used A520 with Canon case for more than 3 years, without any problem so far, but just the screen is too small & pixel is not enough.)

Major issues are from the top panel, the shutter button and on/off button. So I'm looking for a 2nd hand FIX S90 case. In case if anyone want to change their gear, please let me know.

Good day

bonnie

I've been trying out the RecSea housing for the Canon S95.

I believe it's made by the same people who made the FIX housing for the Canon s90, and it is almost identical to the FIX S90 housing. The housing is very compact, allows full control over the ring controls, and allows various wet lenses including the Dyron & Fix fisheye lenses to be mounted.

Scott

Is there any way of changing exposure in video mode when using the Canon housing, that is, without using the rear ring control.

Regards

Bent

Edited by Bent C

I have an Ikelite S90 housing...used for 150 dives.

Last weekend the snap-on ring for the camera's front ring started gliding around, that got fixed with a bit of tape on the inside to create fricton...but then, a day later, I closed the lid and the latch just fell off (pin broken).

So, if my opinion as a newbie poster counts, I would avoid Ikelite and spent more for better quality (false economy and all that).

Further (and this has been a MAJOR pain in the $#@%)...I find that that front ring control has some issues.

Not sure how to write this down in a way that make sense...mmm...after some turning it kinda get's stuck, and I loose a lot of 'turning range.'

Nope, that does not make any sense.

ok...

I start of with shutter speed 1/250...then maybe I need to turn the wheel around to get to 1/1000 then I wanna go back down to 1/60, but I can't...it is kinda stuck (it moves, but I cannot get good control of the dial).

Sponsors

Advertisements