Rud-gr

Gran Canaria, advice needed

For a Dutch diving magazine (Duikmagazine) I will make a feature on Gran Canaria in May 2011.

Anyone with good advice on what to do or not?

My concept right now is to find an appartment in Puerto de Mogan (South coast) and work from there.

- Exploring the (very touristic) South coast waters for a couple of days

- Then focus on the North (Cathedral and the wrecks near Las Palmas)

- And finally sive the East (Arinaga Marine Reserve).

What operators are good to dive with and what divesite should really not be forgotten? All in all I want to spend about 6-7 days diving, is that too tight or is it sufficient to get a good grasp of the place?

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Hello Rud,

First of all, welcome to the island!

6-7 days will/would be enough to get a good grasp of the place IF the weather allows you to dive the scheduled places. Normally, the south coast is always well but the northern wrecks and, specially, the Cathedral need good seas... Arinaga is usually diveable. The dives you are missing are: my favourite Sardina (almost always diveable) and Caleta (needs good conditions), both in the northwest.

Right now I have to leave as I have to catch a plane to Lanzarote tomorrow and leaving to El Hierro UWP competition on friday (so I am not sure I will have a lot of web access in two weeks) but will get to you when I come back. If you have any special questions go ahead and ask!

Right now I have to leave as I have to catch a plane to Lanzarote tomorrow and leaving to El Hierro UWP competition on friday (so I am not sure I will have a lot of web access in two weeks) but will get to you when I come back. If you have any special questions go ahead and ask!

Great, this helps a lot, can't wait to hear more!

Anyway, enjoy El Hierro! I certainly did last year... :-)

Hi, I am sure we can help you ...

We have organised two very sucessful trips in the past, for Simon Rogerson, Editor of BSAC Dive magazine, and for John Liddiard of DIVER magazine in the uK. Both trips covered Las Palmas (cathedral and wrecks), Arinaga, and the west coast. We can sort out all the diving partners who will each show you their local areas so you always get a local expert ; We can introduce you to local journalists and publishers; We also have contacts with the local tourist authority who can for example provide accommodation or other sponsorship.

Have a look at the media page on our website www.davyjonesdiving.com (Other Services /Media and Press) and you can see the links to the articles and see how much both of these photographers enjoyed their visits.

Hope this helps

Brian

Hi, I am sure we can help you ...

We have organised two very sucessful trips in the past, for Simon Rogerson, Editor of BSAC Dive magazine, and for John Liddiard of DIVER magazine in the uK. Both trips covered Las Palmas (cathedral and wrecks), Arinaga, and the west coast. We can sort out all the diving partners who will each show you their local areas so you always get a local expert ; We can introduce you to local journalists and publishers; We also have contacts with the local tourist authority who can for example provide accommodation or other sponsorship.

Have a look at the media page on our website www.davyjonesdiving.com (Other Services /Media and Press) and you can see the links to the articles and see how much both of these photographers enjoyed their visits.

Hope this helps

Brian

Hi Brian,

I came across your operation a few times, in a good way!, when looking for info on the web. I'll make sure to get in contact soon, I appreciate your reply!

ALso, I've been in contact with the Spanish Tourism board in the Netherlands and they are relaying my request to GC, any help (accomodation) from you is surely welcome!

Rutger

Edited by Rud-gr

Sponsors

Advertisements