harrym

Your opinion? Nikon D300s/Nauticam

I am speeding my way towards an SLR purchase at the break-neck speed of 2.25 cm per year. I have actually settled on a make/model, and just to ensure that I spend my $5,000 on hookers instead of a camera/housing, I am asking for your opinion on the following combination:

Nikon D300s

Nikon 60mm lens

Nauticam housing

I am speeding my way towards an SLR purchase at the break-neck speed of 2.25 cm per year. I have actually settled on a make/model, and just to ensure that I spend my $5,000 on hookers instead of a camera/housing, I am asking for your opinion on the following combination:

Nikon D300s

Nikon 60mm lens

Nauticam housing

i have this. Don't forget the 60 mm port. :-) I like it. but have only dived with it twice so far. Come on summer!

Eleanor

... and just to ensure that I spend my $5,000 on hookers instead of a camera/housing...

I think forum rules and common sense dictate that I do not comment on that part of your decision making...

:-)

Cheers,

Cp

I am speeding my way towards an SLR purchase at the break-neck speed of 2.25 cm per year. I have actually settled on a make/model, and just to ensure that I spend my $5,000 on hookers instead of a camera/housing,...

Generally, any housing/camera combination will be a cheaper choice than hookers. YMMV :drink:

I have dove with the D300s in an Ikelite housing and found it to be good. I don't think you could go wrong with the combination you are looking at, except $5000 will not be enough. But then, that's what credit cards are for. Since the D300s is a couple of years old, you might find something used, and save some money for, let's say ....... lunch.

Edited by Don in Colorado

If your not in a hurry have you comapred the Specs of the new D7000 against the D300s? Might be a better bang for the buck?

Regards Mark

Like Chris I'm a bit restricted from posting my views as a dealer. I will say it's a fairly large rig, compared to others. The D7000 may indeed be worth waiting for; it's not a D300s, but will have a lot of improved features and the "un-announced Nauticam" housing will, I'm sure follow suite.

I have shot this rig in a lot of conditions from offshore to local dive sites. I wouldn't shoot it if I didn't like it.

I have lots of 60mm shots on my flickr pages; using it with a diopter is one of my favorite setups, as you have 3 "speeds"; Fish Portrait, Med. Macro and "Poor Man's 105". A diopter allows you to back off to get better lighting, while still shooting macro, OR get higher magnification. Her's a few:

4773695246_c4fa232f39.jpg

Aeolid by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

4524020939_ca5aeb4920.jpg

Scaly Sculpin & Invertibrates by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

4456658882_595e64d759.jpg

Candy Stripe Shrimp-2 by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

4377869255_51c0c804ee.jpg

Clarion Damselfish by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

Jack

Edited by JackConnick

I think forum rules and common sense dictate that I do not comment on that part of your decision making...

:-)

Cheers,

Cp

C'mon, you're supposed to talk me out of buying an SLR camera and housing!.......

and just to ensure that I spend my $5,000 on hookers instead of a camera/housing, I am asking for your opinion :

Nikon D300s

Nikon 60mm lens

Nauticam housing

All I can say is that you seem to have interesting hobbies.

God help us if you combine them all. :drink:

It's good (tho' I can't compare it to hookers....): the controls seem well thought out and the optics are good, except that a viewfinder really helps (which is true for every housing: LiveView sucks {batteries}) and adds even more to the price. Some photographers would say that other lenses could be an even better choice for macro on a cropped sensor camera. Of course, a macro lens is going to need at least one strobe, too...

... that's over $7000, with strobe arms and oddments, I guess.

Tim

:drink:

Generally, any housing/camera combination will be a cheaper choice than hookers. YMMV :)

And a hooker is a lot cheaper than a wife! Remember, if you fly it, sail it or go to bed with it, rent it... :drink:

Edited by Timmoranuk

Love mine

Tops rig, very comfy everything is where it is meant to be all the controls are smooth and accurate and it's a joy to shoot with

47004_435586490177_540805177_5642628_2164226_n.jpg

Lenses

Nikon 60mm

Nikon 105mm

Tokina 10-17

Sigma 17-70

Sigma 10-20

Okay, thanks for all of the valuable input.

I've got a Nikon D300s, a Nauticam housing (with a viewfinder) and a 60mm lens heading my way.

I've already got two Inon Z240 strobes and Ultralight arms.

Intriguing possibility, combining photography and hookers... Maybe I'll start a website... (:

Edited by harrym

I received my new toys today... Unpacked the box and assembled everything... New Nikon... Nauticam housing... Inon strobes... Focus light... viewfinder...

My goodness, what have I gotten myself into?

ahh.jpg

Be careful what you wish for, you may actually get it!

Edited by harrym

47004_435586490177_540805177_5642628_2164226_n.jpg

Don't you find that the handles bend a bit when you stretch out the strobe arms? I tried your set-up, but I've now got two 1" ball mounts screwed into the housing itself which feel more secure to me. One carries my focus light, but the second takes the strobe arm from my right-hand handle which now doesn't flex when I want to twiddle my knobs.

Tim

;)

Edited by tdpriest

Don't you find that the handles bend a bit when you stretch out the strobe arms?

Not enough that I have ever noticed even with the long arms on.

Sponsors

Advertisements