Sign in to follow this  
Spacker

Canon 7D on the threshold...

Ok. Last December I took the plunge and whilst on a trip in New York from London I purchased my first SLR since the Canon T90 I had in my teens, obviously it had to be the 7D.

Now I think it's about time it got wet, well, ok, at least in something wet that keeps it dry. I've kinda assumed I was going to get the Nauticam housing as it seems the best value for money for quality and most flexible wit the port adapters (I don't like Ikelites since, when using a friends the dome port came off in a rib!)

My lenses are currently:

Sigma 70mm Macro

Tokina 11-16mm

Canon L 100-400mm

Tamron 18-270mm

I was thinking the Nauiticam housing, the 8.5" dome port for the 11-16mm (eventually adding a 10-17mm) and a macro port for the Sigma 70mm - picking the shortest port with the longest extension ring option. 2 x Inon Z240, 2 x Fisheye 1000 lumen video lights. The total cost for everything I think I need is about $7,000 including the Inon's and Fisheye lights (I have Ultralight arms already).

Any constructive thoughts or suggestion would be extremely welcome before a salesman pries the credit card out of my grasp! Thanks.

Yup, I can't fault your thinking. The lenses you are going to house are supported with zoom gears so jump in Dude and join the madness... LOL

And if you need any reassurance about the NA-7D, I have two.

Edited by Timmoranuk

Yup, I can't fault your thinking. The lenses you are going to house are supported with zoom gears so jump in Dude and join the madness... LOL

And if you need any reassurance about the NA-7D, I have two.

I've just bought the Aquatica housing and it's built like a tank. I haven't got it wet yet, still have it in the bath!

Lights look good although check the colour temp and beam spread. Those FIX lights look a bit cool.

I went for the Sola lights in the end.

Congrats ahead of time on the new rig Spacker. If I were you I'd consider the 10-17mm before the rectalinear, and I think you'd like the Sola light(s), much smaller than the Fisheyes.

Have fun opening all the boxes!

Steve

Definitely looks like you have chosen a heck of a system. You will be very pleased with the Nauticam housing, it is very ergonomic, compact in size, and robust. One thing I would consider, if funds allow, is going with the Zen 200mm (8") Dome over the Nauticam 8.5" acrylic. Other than that, everything looks great.

I have a very similar setup and enjoy it very much. But instead of the acrylic dome port or the Zen 200 mm, why not go with the Zen 100 mm for the 10-17? It would work just fine and can fit the 1.4x teleconverter.

I have a very similar setup and enjoy it very much. But instead of the acrylic dome port or the Zen 200 mm, why not go with the Zen 100 mm for the 10-17? It would work just fine and can fit the 1.4x teleconverter.

Oooooh I like that. I've just found the Zen website and dropped them a line asking if it would work with the 11-16mm as well (haven't got the 10-17mm yet but it might be a sooner purchase than I'd planned!). Thanks!

Will check out the Sola lights - they look good and I think I'll go for them. I was hoping to use as video lights as I previously used my Z1 in a friends Gates housing with 4 UK10's which worked well.

I'm glad I came here for a bit of hand holding before jumping in on this! Thanks for all the replies guys.

Edited by Spacker

Hi Spacker,

If you are UK based, I will have an NA-7D at the Birmingham dive show next week if you want to have a play with one.

Hi Spacker,

If you are UK based, I will have an NA-7D at the Birmingham dive show next week if you want to have a play with one.

Steve,

take Alsky72's advice and play with his at the NEC (No !! the Nauticam Spacker)

As for as the Zen 100mm instead of the 8.5" dome you'll need to decide how often you're going to be doing split level / under-over shots

(The smaller dome will limit your ability to get decent splits)

My advice ........ Get the larger dome initially then include a Zen 100 when you've got more spondoolies. Oh, and you'll definately need a 10-17.

When you get it, you and your Uncle Nige are diving every day for a fortnight. Stoney Cove?

Nige

Hi Spacker,

Hi Alex, I believe I met you at the show last year. I was the possibly odd bloke with the bulge in his pants that kept caressing the housing and the Inon Endoscope.... See you on the Sunday.... :)

Nige, I definitely need a guiding hand with it from my favourite Uncle. You don't mind if Mistress Louise joins us? The last time I was diving every day I was building wraysburys confined area - this'll make a nice change from hefting scaffold about! Thanks for advice about the port - you're right the Zen might have to wait in light of that.

Have read up on the Sola lights - look the mutts nuts so will add those in to the kit! Thanks again guys.

You don't mind if Mistress Louise joins us? .

If she dosen't, who's gonna model for us?

That Nauticam NA-7D is one sexy looking bit of kit, not surprised you're excited at the prospect of wrapping one round your Canon :blush

The Sola 600 is getting rave reviews everywhere, even the Ageing Scribe, John Bantin gave it ten stars in this months Diver Tests, (and you know how tight the Pre-war Paperazzi is with his stars)

So excellent choice methinks.

Nige Wade

Oooooh I like that. I've just found the Zen website and dropped them a line asking if it would work with the 11-16mm as well (haven't got the 10-17mm yet but it might be a sooner purchase than I'd planned!). Thanks!

Hi Spacker,

I responded to your request at Zen, but I'll mention it here too (albeit with fewer adjectives). The Zen DP-100-NT 100mm dome will work the Tokina 10-17 - it's designed specifically for that lens, no extension rings required. It will not work well with the 11-16. Small domes like this are great for fisheye lenses, but not so good for rectilinear. For the 11-16, I would recommend either the Zen 200mm or 230mm.

Cheers,

Cp

Hi Alex, I believe I met you at the show last year. I was the possibly odd bloke with the bulge in his pants that kept caressing the housing and the Inon Endoscope.... See you on the Sunday.... :)

There were a few people answering to that description but I do remember you for sure :)

See you there

Alex

I'm so happy with my Nauticam NA-7D I bought a second one as a spare along with Sola lights, Zen 100 & 200 domes.

Wide angle shooting is what I'm into and a 10-22 rectalinear or similar lens is a must for me...just returned from shooting Great Whites and none of the "PROS" were using fisheye lenses, but the 16-35mm on the full frame cameras ruled. Same thing has applied to Sailfish and Marlin. So depending on what you plan to shoot consider the larger dome first as a few have stated here. REEF Photo in FL. can offer some valuable advice.

UW photography is like a crack habit, but at least you can buy it on your plastic!

Party on!

Mike

Hey Spacker - when are you going to use this system? Are you close to the water so you are going to use it all of the time or is it only for vacations?

If you use it only for vacations then maybe you should wait. The only reason I say that is that I believe next summer Canon will come out with the 5D mk3... and I bet it will address a lot of the issues with video as well - autofocus, RAW files, heat (hopefully) etc. I doubt it would take very much time for Nauticam to come up with a housing for it (3-4 months probably just like the T2i).

I always get frustrated with production cycles (technology must march on but it also must make my cameras obsolete). The mk2 is nearing the end of it's life, the 7D has some more time to go, but just something to think about... if you can wait a year and save up some more money it might be worth it.

Spacker,

I bought all my kit, direct from Alex, in one large lump sum. Yeah it was a huge outlay but boy, was it worth it. The fun of opening all them boxes and bits and bobs and putting it together, even to get it wet in the bath or pool! Now i have used it more and more, i love it more and more. Every dive i feel i learn another hidden gem of the camera and housing. As Alex says, it is a sexy piece of kit, so much so, my wife gets jealous of my new dive buddy!

I have the 10-17 and 8.5" Nauticam dome and its amazing. Never really been a huge WA fan, more macro stuff, but its so easy to get pleasing results.

Other things to maybe add to the shopping list: the Stix floats for the arms, to neutralise the buoyancy and take the strain of the arms and the 'Woody' Dioptre for those supermacro shots, i love it.

Enjoy the NEC, but make sure u have a dive or 2 planned in the near future after the purchase, otherwise you may go a little bit nuts.

Olly

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements