Sign in to follow this  
DiverPam

which lens to catpure my son's graduation in May

Non UW related guys - I know this is early, but I want time to find a lens for my son's graduation from high school next May. I know that I will not be able to get close to the stage when he walks across and I really would like to get some decent pics of this event (and others like it in the future). Also thought that I would then have a lens for other non UW related picture taking.

What suggestions do you have about what lens would be good for this? Would this be a good time to get a telephoto lens? Help please?!!

Thanks - DiverPam

Hi Pam,

You'll probably want something that does well in low light as well as having a bit of reach. Have a look at the 70-200 f2.8. Sigma also make one that's been getting good reviews too (the OS version).

Ryan.

If you can get within 30 yards of the stage, a 70-200 should get you a full frame of your son accepting his diploma, assuming you have a crop sensor. But unless there's some VIP security detail around, running up to the stage when your son is called up shouldn't be a problem, no?

But unless there's some VIP security detail around, running up to the stage when your son is called up shouldn't be a problem, no?

Haha, I think I would've killed my mother if she'd done that when I graduated!

Thanks guys - You better bet I will be trying to get as close as I can when he goes across - along with every other mom and dad. And what are parents for if not to embarass their children! :)

I do have a cropped sensor - Nikon D90. Which lens - the nikon version is quite expensive? Any chance finding this one used in nikon or sigma (or other)?

Thanks for the help - DiverPam

Second that, 70-200L f/2.8 IS is a winner hands down. The IS will give you a couple of stops legroom in low light, but be careful of that razor sharp 2.8.

Any chance finding this one used in nikon or sigma (or other)?

Nikon just recently upgraded this lens so it works better with FX as well, but the older version works perfectly with DX. See if you can find a copy of the older version used.

Another good all purpose lens for the DX is the 18-200. It will let you shoot every aspect of the graduation from individuals to groups. It is not as sharp as the 70-200, and not as fast, but it is a very good all-purpose lens to keep on the camera, much more compact (when not zoomed out) and lighter than the 70-200 and cheaper than the 70-200 by quite a bit. $750 or so vs over $2000. Even the Sigma is $1600. The 18-200 does have VR so you should be able to do indoor auditorium shots with it, particularly if you take a monopod. As a general purpose topside general family picture taking lens that you can leave on the camera, I would choose it over the 70-200.

Edited by loftus

Haha, I think I would've killed my mother if she'd done that when I graduated!

I said run up to the stage, not run ON to the stage. Big difference. :)

I do have a cropped sensor - Nikon D90. Which lens - the nikon version is quite expensive? Any chance finding this one used in nikon or sigma (or other)?

You have more than a few months to find one used. Of course with the US$ sinking faster than the Titanic, a new one could be more expensive by then too :) The Nikon is a very sharp lens but in the low 2k range. Sigma are fine lenses, but have crappier quality control, so you need to try out at least 3-4 to find the sharpest one. and you'll save over 1k.

If you do shoot people, I do think the f2.8 is key, as much as VR. You need enough shutter speed to freeze people movement, especially indoors. I suggest you buy a SB flash unit to go with whatever lens :)

Hire a wheel chair for the day and get in the front row, then you wont need to buy a telephoto and can buy another lens for underwater.

Stew

They may have a professional photographer on the stage. If so, I would just pay for the professional picture, and enjoy the moment.

Too true, but then when you wouldn't have a great excuse to buy a new lens and that top of the line strobe. :) (Think of it as your graduation present)

I bought the 70-200 Canon and 580 Flash for my son's college graduation last year. Completely hosed it up, even after running down front and embarrasing him. Ended up buying some pics from the guy on stage anyway.

Don has a great point, it's tough to think about f/stops when you're son is all dressed up in the cap and gown and shaking the Dean's hand. Trust me, Tiger's are easier.

But hey, I did get a new lens out of the deal.

Have fun,

Steve

All of the college and high school graduations I've attended in the past few years not even 70-300mm was long enough so a lot of cropping was needed. dSLR have really good ISO 1600 to 3200 nowadays so using 300mm f5.6 indoor has not been an issue in my experience unless the person rushes onstage. YMMV!

School photographers all only offer prints not digital files so I've chosen to take the photos myself.

Okay...I get it. Excuse to get a new lens (possibly a flash too) for topside. And then I get to spend more money and buy the actual prints from the school photo guy afetr the event?! Sounds about right.

Thanks again for the info guys - Pam

Hi Pam

You could always rent a lens for the day if you don't want to purchase one. Try your local photo store or online rentals. Try Lensprotogo.com

Mike

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements