arava12

7D : Nauticam vs Sea and sea

Hi everybody !

I am currently looking for a new housing for my 7D.

I already have an Ikelite one with 2 DS 161 strobes and I would like to investigate the optical-triggering possibilities with Z 240 strobes.

It seems reliable, light and no more electrical sync cord...

I have seen reviews of aquatica vs nauticam, but until now, couldn't find anything about th sea and sea housing for the 7D.

Would you have any information / experience to share ?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Anthony,

Not sure if this helps, if u want a comparison between S&S and Nauticam and Aqautica, but i have the nauticam and love it. 1 Vote for that.

I have the 240s too, firing optical and its super easy and efficient. The bonus with the 7d is the ability to change the internal flash setting to manaul and set it to 1/128th of the power, means it fires super quick and easy even on motor drive, and let the fast recycle time of the 240s work for u. Having shot things like Frogfish 'yawning' the ability to just hold the shutter down and get that peak of the action is amazing. Havent seen the 7d S&S housing so cant comment on that, but found the older 500d housing much bulkier than the aquatica. I only decided on N over the A because of how it really felt in the hands. If u can find a shop near you go and feel and try them out. Where u based?

Hope that helps

Olly

Hi I have just been in your situation and have decided to go for the Nauticam over hugyfot, sea&sea or aquatica. All housings have everything I need but for me it was how the housing felt, what features the housing had (eg port lock) customer service and price. Most people told me to get my hands on each of the housings and talk to the reps/users.

Not a lot I know but all i've got at the moment :-)

It would be the best to take the housings in your hands and feel them! I bought Aquatica and I would do it again! Is is simple, small, when you are holding the grips you can do everything with your thumbs! I can`t speak for other hosuings. Before I bought it I did some research on the forum, and found lots of cons and pros for every housing!

I have a Sea&Sea MDX-7D and it's my first housing so I can't really compare it with a Nauticam. I got it on a Wednesday (Sept.8, I think), dove on a Saturday and I've never gone down without it ever since. I think I've logged at least 20 dives with it and so far it's been amazing. Maybe you have specific questions about it that I can answer in better detail.

Oh and I've bought it primarily for video, as I am also a cinematographer.

If I may link my first vid. Some shots are from my first dives with the housing so it's a bit shaky. But I got the hang of it right after.

http://vimeo.com/16175040

Thank you very much Dominic !

It seems you are the only one with a sea and sea housing for the 7D. :)

Does every one else went to the Nauticam direction??

Even if it seems that both housing are great, what about the whole system ?

Are the dome port and maro port equal ? What about the zoom gears ? Are they comparable ?

I am in south of france and nobody here seems to have any housing so I cannot try...

I need to rely on your opinions guys !!!

thanks again !

Anthony

Thank you very much Dominic !

It seems you are the only one with a sea and sea housing for the 7D. :)

Does every one else went to the Nauticam direction??

Even if it seems that both housing are great, what about the whole system ?

Are the dome port and maro port equal ? What about the zoom gears ? Are they comparable ?

I am in south of france and nobody here seems to have any housing so I cannot try...

I need to rely on your opinions guys !!!

thanks again !

Anthony

Anthony:

In the U.S. at least the Nauticam housing is about $800 cheaper than the Sea and Sea but for me the advantages were really about the ability to use existing ports from a previous Subal system and the really excellent Nauticam finder. Sea and Sea make nice stuff and if you have a bunch of Sea and Sea ports, then getting the S&S housing makes sense, but S&S does not have a finder equivalent to the Nauticam and the engineering of the Nauticam is MUCH more modern than the S&S stuff.

Bill

I oown a Sea&Sea D80 Housing and a Nauticam D300s housing.

Things I dislike about Sea&Sea

3 bulkhead floods through the sync ports

Gears for the the main dials keep wearing down

Having to send it back to Japan for a service as they will not even supply Oring sets.

Things I dislike about Nauticam

Nothing

Would I buy another Sea&Sea ..... NO

Edited by Chriso

Sponsors

Advertisements