Sign in to follow this  
dtpnep

zoom macro

i am in search of the a lens that will accomplish 80% of my underwater shooting needs, does anyone have experience with this lens, how does it work for non macro work? i use a 105 macro when i want real close up ability. i am looking for something with a wide angle capability and close focus ability , but also be able to shoot the occaisional shark , wreck form a distance etc.

i am in search of the a lens that will accomplish 80% of my underwater shooting needs, does anyone have experience with this lens, how does it work for non macro work? i use a 105 macro when i want real close up ability. i am looking for something with a wide angle capability and close focus ability , but also be able to shoot the occaisional shark , wreck form a distance etc.

Well at 1:3 it really isn't "macro" in my book and at a 1 foot (11 inches maybe) close focus distance it isn't so close focus. It is a bit soft wide open but sharp enough at f8. Occasional vignetting at 18 depending on the port. Not terribly robust construction with multiple reports of bad focus motors but that might depend on the camera as well.

Bill

I recently bought the Tokina ATX 35mm f2.8 Macro before my recent trip to the Philippines and managed some decent results albeit some limitation with f22 being the smallest aperture. Good enough for a large turtle shot (or shark) and possible to obtain decent macro shots too. Nice all round lens.

As a suggestion I think the Tokina 10-17mm has wide angle capability and close focus ability and is excellent for Shark and wreck work (both close and far). I havnt used the 18-50 but I have a Sigma 17-70 which I find ok for general use or basically a lens to fill the gap between the Tokina and dedicated macro lens like the 60 or 105mm. But it doesnt do no where as near a great job as either wide angle or macro. The 17-70mm is used behind a dome which limits the macro and the 17mm isnt wide enough for wide angle work on sharks and wrecks.

For me personally the Tokina 10-17mm and the 60/105mm macro does 95% of my shooting.

Regards Mark

Here's what I have in my u/w arsenal:

Nikkor 12-24 in 170 mm dome

Nikkor 60 & 105 macro (older)

Tokina 10-17 FE in Bare 4-3/4" mini dome

Tokina 10-17 FE + Pro 300 1.4 TC in Bare 4-3/4 mini dome

Sigma 17-70 in 170 mm dome + 60 mm PE or Bare mini dome + 50 mm PE

My minimum kit would be the 105 (or may be the new 85 mm macro), flat port, the Tokina 10-17, Pro 300 1.4 TC, and the Bare mini dome. The Tokina with or without the 1.4 TC will give you a nice range. Enjoy the journey.

Bob

I have a 17-70 in a flared flat port. It took a LOT of doing. I needed Reef Photo to actually permantly fix the zoom ring to the lens. Otherwise it wouldn't fit. Then I needed a flared flat port that doesn't interfere with the view at 17mm. The good news is that I can get 1:2 macro at a very close working distance and still get a decent reef scene. It is not, of course, either true nacro or true wide-angle.

I still prefer my 105 and let my wife take the reef scenes

if you're looking for this kind of lens, get the Sigma 17-70 mm: it's cheaper, more versatile and more or less the same quality. I used them both.

best, udo

i started out on this path with the Canon 17-85 and 8 in dome and found that it was good for 20%. Added Tokina 11-16 and a Macro port for my 100 macro to take care of the other 80% (more like 100% as i replaced the 17-85 with 17-40, but haven't used it yet).

17mm on a crop frame camera isn't very wide, but may be wide enough for larger fish in clear water

macro with a dome port doesn't work because a) you can't get close enough, b) the dome scares small fish away, c) you scratch the dome trying to get close

But 17mm in a flat port will give you decent reef scenes. My wife took some awesome soft-coral shots in Fiji. You can also focus very close for macro.

Like most of us i am at one end of the spectrum but my wife has spent years in the middle 80% and get some very nice pictures.

I think the 17-70 in a flat port is an overlooked option.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements