Sign in to follow this  
scubamarli

Lembeh filefish

OK, in my quest to clear up 2009 (really..life got in the way)I am slogging through photos once again. Here is a filefish. I am wondering if it is a juvie Fan Bellied or Strapweed, or something else. At this point, I am wondering why I keep going to a place that has so much particulate to remove. :)

Cheers,

Marli

post-1116-1290398276.jpg

Glad to know even you have trouble with some of these things. I'll be amazed if you get a 100% ID here I'm far from an expert so a few observations: the “nose” doesn't seem upturned enough for a fan-bellied. The straight area between eye and mouth seems to favour strapweed but then the little projection on the lower part of the belly appendage is, to me, more indicative of bristle-tailed. Hope you get somewhere and I share your pain about the crap in the water!

My money is on Paramonacanthus choirocephalus. Allen et al note "usually dark blotch below beginning of 2nd dorsal fin" in the Tropical Pacific Reef Fish ID guide, and it looks very similar to the one shown in the World Atlas of Marine Fishes.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements