Sign in to follow this  
mach1dsl

Key West

Looking to dive in Key West (vacationing with non-diving family).

Whats the best dive operation in town?

Thansk.

Looking to dive in Key West (vacationing with non-diving family).

Whats the best dive operation in town?

Thansk.

Scratch that. I just noticed you asked about Key West and not Key Largo. Sorry.

Edited by Andy Morrison

I was there for a week about 5 or 6 years ago. Weather was choppy because of an approaching hurricane. I booked with 3 or 4 shops before leaving home but much preferred Subtropic (http://www.subtropic.com/). Their 2 boats were older than some of the others but both the shop and boat people were exceeding customer friendly and on many days Subtropic was the only boat going out in the choppy weather. Each day when the boat that I was booked on finally made the decision to call the trip because of weather, I would make a dash to Subtropic and go diving in seas no worse than many days off North Carolina where I live.

There was one dive shop down town (can't remember the name) who had a very beautiful boat docked at the Hyatt that I recommend you stay away from. Most customer unfriendly shop/boat I have encountered in my 36 years of diving.

If you have a car you should also consider going to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary which is about 25 miles from Key West. Shallow tongue and groove reefs with lots of dive time. I like Looe Key Resort and Dive Center (http://www.diveflakeys.com/index.html) because it is shortest run to the Sanctuary and does only one 3 tank trip each day. On Wednesday they do the first dive on the Adolphus Busch. While this is a nice wreck, it has a lot of silt settled on/in it and is not as good a dive as some of the other wrecks in the keys.

I have dove in the Keys several times in the past couple years. In KW, I'd strongly recommend Dive Key West, esp. if you're planning to dive the Vandenburg. They are a little more expensive than most, but extremely safety conscious. Something that I have not experienced in some of the other dive ops in KW.

I also second the suggestion to go to Looe Key .It's about 30 minutes from KW. But I have had problems with the Resort dive op. Both times I've gone with them, it's been a cattle boat with divers and snorkelers. There used to be a dive op in Looe Key area called Innerspace or something like that. I have not dove with them, but they have been strongly recommended by some Keys locals who know the dive ops well.

I believe that the dive op rwe is referring to is Southpoint. I have dove with them and rate them neutral. We had quite a crowd on their boat and they managed it fairly well. I dove with them only because Dive Key West was chartered for the day.

Edited by divengolf

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements