Sign in to follow this  
Steve Douglas

WE WON! Shark Fin Soup is off the table in Vegas

Just got a reply from the Vegas Hilton to my email to them.

Dear Mr. Douglas,

The management at the Las Vegas Hilton places tremendous value in the

feedback that is received from our guests. Our resort has a rich history

and has built a strong reputation on creating a positive experience for

all our guests. After careful consideration, the Las Vegas Hilton is in

the process of removing shark's fin soup from the menu in our Chinese

Restaurant.

We appreciate your comments and opinions and look forward to another

opportunity to serve you.

Thank you,

Katrina Nabong

Executive Assistant

Las Vegas Hilton

3000 Paradise Rd.

Las Vegas, NV 89109

P: 702.732.5473

F: 702.732.5207

E: knabong@lvhilton.com

Nice job guys, that's one. :D

Steve

Outstanding news. Thank you to everyone who participated in this letter writing campaign!

This is indeed great news and I am very happy for this victory!

A thought just struck me: They say they will remove shark fin from the resturant menu, which is fantastic. But do they arrange Chinese wedding banquets, and if so, will they remove shark fin soup from the banquet menu as well? Wedding banquests are usually where big money can be made on shark fin soup. Can they guarantee that they won't in any situation sell or promote shark fin products?

- Can we petition other hotels and resorts, especially ones known to arrange big wedding banquests, to stop serving shark fin?

- Does anyone know of any famous Chinese actors/ singers/ trendsetters/ movers&shakers that are about to get married and that could be convinced to join the cause publicly and NOT serve shark fin at their wedding?

One down ... :D

Excellent news

Dive safe

DeanB

Thanks Jim and to the person who initiated contact with the hotel !!!!! Save the Sharks !!!!!!!

I expect it may take a little while for the Hilton's online menu to show removal of Sharks Fin soup but right now it still figures http://www.lvhilton.com/Eat/Dining/Benihana-Village/Dragon

Let's maintain a watching brief and respond if necessary...

Fantastic news! Makes my evening.

Great work to those who initiated this. Thank you so much!

Well done to all involved. Give yourselves a BIG pat on the back. It would be good now that you guys have dialogue with a Hilton representative to try and push them to take it off the menu's worldwide.

Stew

I expect it may take a little while for the Hilton's online menu to show removal of Sharks Fin soup but right now it still figures http://www.lvhilton.com/Eat/Dining/Benihana-Village/Dragon

Let's maintain a watching brief and respond if necessary...

I have written to them to ask when this will occur and let every one know, once I do.

Steve

A heads up that the on-line menu for the Garden of the Dragon restuarant at the Las Vegas Hilton continues to offer Sharks Fin Soup. Maybe another email blizzard is required?

PS. ovrienk@lvhilton.com bounces now. Maybe an indication of duplicitous behaviour?

Edited by Timmoranuk

A heads up that the on-line menu for the Garden of the Dragon restuarant at the Las Vegas Hilton continues to offer Sharks Fin Soup. Maybe another email blizzard is required?

PS. ovrienk@lvhilton.com bounces now. Maybe an indication of duplicitous behaviour?

The menu is quite out of date. GrdnDragn-Insert.3-6-06.pdf From looking at the title the data appears to be from March of 2006. So it is almost 5 years old. Probably a low priority to have a new menu on the web site. However, I had a nice reply from the Hilton and here is my follow up:

Hello Katrina,

Thank you for the follow up note and for sending my thoughts on to the global brand team regarding removing shark fin soup and other menu items using shark fin from the menu at Hilton restaurants. While on the hotel website I notice the menu for the Golden Dragon was down loadable:

http://www.lvhilton.com/content/download/1289/10429

It is linked from this web page:

http://www.lvhilton.com/Eat/Dining/Benihana-Village/Dragon

When I down loaded the menu it looked to be from March of 2006. Given its age and now that shark fin products are off the menu it might be good to have an updated version available to guests.

Thank you once again for your attention to this matter.

Merry New Years.

Allen

BTW I noticed that not only were they serving shark fin soup but one the last page you could get braised shark fin. Also two of Hilton's restaurants in CA also serve the soup.

Edit 4 January - I got a reply from Katrina "Once we get our new menu we will certainly update it on our website." So it sounds like things are in progress. I would give them sometime - may be another month or so.

Edited by allen

Hi all,

I also got this mail:

Hi Adam,

You are very welcome.

Once we get our new menu we will certainly update it on our website.

Thank you,

Katrina Nabong

Executive Assistant to Ken Ciancimino

Executive Vice President Administration

Las Vegas Hilton

3000 Paradise Rd.

Las Vegas, NV 89109

I suggest we give them a bit longer. Does anyone have the ability to check whether they are actually still serving it?

Adam

Hi all,

The news is not good:

So after reading your write up about going into the restaurant at the hilton, I decided to do a quick check up to make sure.

It's still on the menu there

I've already let them know, that I will never be crossing their threshold again (that's where I used to stay all the time when I went to Vegas), as well as I will also be making sure no one that I know ever stays there or even even stops by

What else can I do?

This is from Daniel Chaisson, dated yesterday.

I propose we mail them again and use the word duplicitous a lot!

I'll post my mail as well.

Adam

This is the mail I have just sent to the LV Hilton. This is their Mail address.

Dear Ms Nabong,

I am alarmed and concerned to gather that shark fin soup is still listed on the menu at the Golden Dragon. I have heard this from people actually visiting the restaurant, so it would seem that not only is the dish listed, but also being served.

This is either an oversight, or a duplicitous and deliberate act to appear to address customer complaints, whilst actually doing something completely different. If it is the former, please accept my sincere apologies, and I hope that you rectify it soon. If it is the latter, I would feel very let down by the tone and nature of your previous assurances that shark fin soup was off the menu at the LV HIlton.

I await you reply.

Yours

Adam

The Hilton's reply:

Hi Adam,

Shark’s Fin soup was removed from Garden of the Dragon’s menu two months ago; please see the new menu attached. If the people you spoke to dined at the Garden of the Dragon prior to that then, yes, it was still on the menu. The fact that the menu was not updated on our website was an oversight and will be uploaded soon.

Thank you,

Katrina Nabong

Executive Assistant to Ken Ciancimino

Executive Vice President Administration

Las Vegas Hilton

3000 Paradise Rd.

Las Vegas, NV 89109

Is anyone in a position to go and check it out?

Adam

Over the past few months I kept checking and the menu did not appear to change. I sent a note last week and found out that it did change on the website 7 Feb, 2011. I figured out why - they added a new download link but I had the old link which was still valid. So I kept seeing the old menu. Going to the website the link was updated.

Now how do we convince their other properties to remove it:

http://www.cafesierrahilton.com/index.php?...&Itemid=123

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/hotelpr..._ethnicweddings

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/LAXS...fornia/index.do

http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-gabriel-hilton-hotel-san-gabriel

Lets switch DEMA back to Vegas this year. Then we can check the menu. Florida Demas tend to be a bust anyway.

Steve

Great news, nice work guys!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements