Sign in to follow this  
seafox

Light Meter

I am considering getting a Digital Light Meter. I am new to digital photography, and have been told that a meter would be a useful tool in my kit bag.

Do many UW digital photographer use light meters, and if so what are the benefits?

Thanks

I am new to digital, but plan to continue to use my Sekonic Marine meter with the digital camera (althought I expect it will take some time to get calibrated).

I find the meter much easier to use than the in-camera meter for setting blue-water exposures. The digital meter has many functions that a simple analog meter cannot match, but I am not convinced that digital meterd have significant advantages over submersible (or housed) analog meters -- the analog meters are very easy to set and read, and you can pick up used Sekonics on e-Bay for well under half (sometimes 1/4) the cost of a new submersible digital meter.

I'd love to hear what others have to say on the subject of external meters w/ digital cameras.

The Ikelite digital meter (DM4200) is very nice. Large, very readable display, and easy to use - much easier than having to peer through viewfinder. It works well out of the water too, and can be used in incident or direct mode, and also to measure strobe exposures. 1/3 stop increments.

In direct mode, the acceptance angle is 10 degrees, which I find more useful than spot mode on my camera's internal meter.

It's not tiny, and you'll need a bracket to attach it to a non-Ikelite housing or arm system.

Ikelite Digital Meter

I'm sorry to hear that - it's a very nice meter. I wouldn't be surprised they will become collector's items, and end up trading used on the net for their original price or more.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements