Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Newbie Rigs: What camera system did you buy?

I did a search of housings for the Nikon D80 and didn't find any results. Can anyone give feedback on the Ikelite housing for the D80 and what setup for strobes and arms would you use for macro? Thanks in advance for your input.

I just received my Canon G-10 and the WP-DC28 housing. I am new as well to underwater photography and I will primarily be using it to take pics while snorkeling with the kids. Me and the family are going to the Caymans next month and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the settings for the camera? I hope to get a strobe sometime in the near future.

Hi Brian,

Jump in and try this previous thread. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25631

There is also a link in there to another earlier attempt to answer your question. If you have any questions after reading just jump in again and let us know.

Good luck!

Steve

I'm hoping to grab a Canon HV-30 and housing very shortly. Does anyone have any recommendations on a housing?

Hi Brian,

Jump in and try this previous thread. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25631

There is also a link in there to another earlier attempt to answer your question. If you have any questions after reading just jump in again and let us know.

Good luck!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I got a lot out of this thread and others one that were attached to it. I am going to try and shoot some shots in the pool this weekend with the different settings that I read about. Looks like trial and error and the mistakes usually come out looking great. So glad I joined the group. Have a great weekend.

Brian

hello folks...

Lucky me...In a months time I'm off to the Maldives for a couple of weeks diving...

New to underwater photography, I just ordered a Canon G10 and WP-DC28 housing..Out in the air I use a Nikon D300 and if all goes well I shall consider splashing out on a case for that, but for the moment, bang for bucks is best for me so i went for the Canon..Normally, I do a lot of post editing, so the RAW capability of the G10 was a big selling point for me..I know i will get well frustrated with only JPEGs to play with....Anyways, to get to the point, I'm wondering if anybody can recommend an ideal strobe/flash set up for the Canon? Trying to keep the price down (the holiday is allready costing me an arm and a leg!) I've been looking at various Fantasea rigs but wonder if they are up to the job?, also what's the advantage of a focus light and do i need one that automatically turns off when the main flash fires?...I've really got to make some sort of decision in the next week or so as I'd really like to get a bit of pool practice in before i go...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly...: )

new user reply to a post before i can start a topic.

done.

hey!

I just started diving and the reason why I started in the first place was for underwater photography.

I work at the Sony Store and do get quite a significant discount on every product in the store so I decided to buy a point&shoot camera and the underwater housing for it.

SONY DSCW290 http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/P...oductId=1006240

MPKWE -Underwater Housing http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/P...oductId=1006070

Sea&Sea YS27 http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ys27dx/index.html

Please keep in mind that I am 20 years old and do not have too much money to spend and am only able to get this equipment because I work at the Store.

Please tell me if there are other/better solutions, it would be much appreciated.

Should I also get a close up lens with my setup?

There is a Sea&Sea System Chart and that is what I am basically following to get the best I can afford.

Thank You for any Help

Sergei

[quote name='sergei_vishovski'

Please keep in mind that I am 20 years old and do not have too much money to spend and am only able to get this equipment because I work at the Store.

Please tell me if there are other/better solutions, it would be much appreciated.

there would be other/better (as you put it) combinations

but until you can afford them or really desire them why worry?

Enjoy what you have and do what you can and upgrade when you can.

You have many years to come, so dont rush anthing. Good time for you to master the basics and have some fun.

The Ikelite would be my chioce between the two. Why not an INON Z-240 and a UCLS arm.

DX1G, and still haven't had a chance to take it into the water.

With dive trip coming up, I purchased G10 camera and Fisheye FIX housing with Fisheye Wide angle conversion port from Backscatter. I already own Inon Z240 strobe. I paid 96 dollars FedEx Priority Overning shipping charges to make sure the gear arrives on time. Well, the manual for the housing was missing as well as the Optical D Connector, so I left on three day dive trip without my new toy... Not a happy camper..

I needed an inexpensive housing for my Sony FX7 and I made the mistake of buying an Epic housing. What a waste of money & it nearly destroyed my camera too - The flexible end collapses under the slightest bit of water pressure & crushes the camera between the controls and the lens end of the housing. When I called the company to complain they told me that there is a sucker born every day & I was that sucker. Guess I could use it as a goldfish bowl but its not much use for anything else.

Greetings,

I've been doing some u/w with a Sea & Sea setup, a DX860G with a YS-27 strobe. I get some decent pictures, good enough to impress family and friends but nothing spectacular. Going to move into the DSLR realm so I can have exposure and depth of field control. I'll post in the beginner section a couple of questions.

Cheers, Dan

Hi guys

Just bought a aquatica housing for a canon 5d mrk2,I have been a pro land photographer for a while could do with a little advice on strobes will be using a 14mm l utra wide lens.

Any advice on strobes most appreciated.probably looking at a single ys250 to start may add another at a later date.

Just bought a aquatica housing for a canon 5d mrk2,I have been a pro land photographer for a while could do with a little advice on strobes will be using a 14mm l utra wide lens.

Any advice on strobes most appreciated.probably looking at a single ys250 to start may add another at a later date.

Congratulations on your new housing for your Canon 5d mrk2!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Another place to go for questions on strobes would be the Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique forum.

Generally speaking, I will say that one problem with using strobes underwater is that they can cause backscatter in your images. This happens when the strobe lights up particles in the water. Taking images underwater using strobes is quite different from using speedlights in land (topside) photography. There are definitely ways to mimimize and/or eliminate backscatter. If you're not already familiar with them, you might want to become familiar with them before using your strobe underwater.

If you're shooting with an ultra widelens, you probably will want to add a second strobe as soon as possible.

Again, feel free to fire away with your questions as you enter the wonderful world of underwater photograpy.

Ellen

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Richard Shelton I go by kokopedal (long story). I have been diving since 1977, Mostly in warm waters. I just moved to San Diego ca after living several years in Hawaii. I came over early to find a place to live, meanwhile all my gear is still on a slow boat. I use a Nikon D-300 with an ikelite housing and 125 strobes. It will take some adjusting for me here the locals tell me on a good day the viz is 15 feet shore dives and 30 or so for boat dives. Oh well nothing like a new challange. I hope to contribute to this forum in some way.

Later

kokopedal

Hi All,

I am a newly qualified diver and would like to capture my UW memories. My compact Canon IXUS recently broke, but I still have my old faithful D350 dSLR. What would be the best way to start? Get a housing for my old D350, or buy a compact cam and UW housing? I want to take pictures around 60-100ft. I haven't been following new cams for at least the last 6 months, but it seems compacts still don't do too well in low light situations. I want to take mostly close-up to macro photos.

Any suggestions?

(I'm new to the forum, so apologies if a similar query has come up before :-)

Thanks!!

Hi folks,

I bought my first point and shoot underwater camera (Casio Z77) this year and was very surprised of the good quality of the photos.

Here are some examples:

tn_anchor.JPGtn_fish-2.JPGtn_turtle_1.JPGtn_manta-ray_2.JPG

US$230 Casio Z77 + EWC-11 (3m) is the camera I used

US$324 Casio Z80 + EWC-130 (40m) alternative for divers

I have created a website with tips for this particular camera (but should be similar for other casio models).

http://underwater-photography.webconrad.com/

Full-size photos and videos can be found here: http://underwater-photography.webconrad.co...otos-videos.php

Cheers

Clemens

Wow!!! Thanks for an awesome, helpful post!

hey denizens of wetpixel!

I am looking to get a set up for Nikon d70, most likely an ikelite housing. I currently have a nikor 18-70 ED lens and am going to work with this until I can afford to get into macro and wide angle. I need some help selecting strobes, initially I was thinking about a pair of ikelite DS 51’s. I will be doing all my shooting in the turbid waters of New England so might be able to sacrifice output, but want rugged and easy to use with thick gloves.

Any suggestions?

Also dealers or sellers in New England?

AB sea photo in LA seems like a value buy, anybody had any experience with them?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements