Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Climate Change Summit finally cuts deal.

In a last ditch effort to continue UN efforts on climate change, a deal was finally agreed on by all participants. In final dealings, goals set by the Kyoto Protocol was compromised upon, including further carbon emissions cuts and even how it's going to be done. At least it's a move forward, although it may be too little, way too late!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11975470

If the stronger country in the world doesn't change radically how it's affecting the earth, having the biggest foot print of all, consuming more than 70% of the oil of the world, demanding actions for the smaller countries but refusing to do the same, we are doomed.

I'm talking to United States of America.

US is not the only country causing problems, but if US doesn't turn 180 degrees and starts doing it right, no other big country will do it, including for example China.

You can talk all day about economy and the "american way", but at the end of the century all that will be meaningless.

If the stronger country in the world doesn't change radically how it's affecting the earth, having the biggest foot print of all, consuming more than 70% of the oil of the world, demanding actions for the smaller countries but refusing to do the same, we are doomed.

I'm talking to United States of America.

US is not the only country causing problems, but if US doesn't turn 180 degrees and starts doing it right, no other big country will do it, including for example China.

You can talk all day about economy and the "american way", but at the end of the century all that will be meaningless.

Many Americans would agree with you, but at the end of the day I think it's a matter of getting the average American to understand and to feel the impacts of the changes that are already occurring. Lot's of people enjoy watching documentaries about the oceans on brilliant, affordable flat-screen TVs. They would rather watch an hour of beautiful undersea documentary footage than an hour-long show about reef bleaching.

The Wetpixel community is unique in the sense that you have people from all over the world, professionals who make a living filming and photographing the undersea world, professionals who depend on diver tourism, and avid enthusiasts for whom this part of nature is a core value for their lives. All of us bring back imagery. It seems certain to me that even the mainstream nature shows will eventually show us more of what is happening to the reefs, sharks, and the oceans as a whole. Changing the average person's mind sometimes starts with changing the minds of those who are leaders, instigators, and communicators. It's almost always a messy, contentious, unpleasant process. I find myself wanting to avoid any more bad news about the oceans and just concentrate on what's still okay. I am not thrilled with the idea of showing people images of what's been destroyed, but it seems that people here have the opportunity to show the world what's going wrong, and obviously many are doing just that. A picture is worth a thousand words. The high caliber of films and photos this community produces can have a big impact. I was starting to think about a trip to the Caribbean this week and it was recreational divers' recent photos that made me aware of just how bad it's getting, especially this year.

I am not suggesting that everyone has to become an active advocate, but Wetpixel folks can obviously be ambassadors for what's incredible in the seas and what's being lost. I am finding myself deciding that I no longer want to passively watch all of this quietly slip away. This stuff should be headline news, every day. Drew, thanks for the info on the climate deal; and thanks to you Shawn and everyone here who have been getting the word out for a long time.

Pat

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements