adamhanlon

EU citizens, your urgent action is needed to help sharks!

Its not easy getting an acknowledgement from Kay Swinburne :)

Hi all,

I don't know of a way to get updated signature information beyond a total number here

This total does seem to be increasing-it list it at 350 MEPs signed. We still need a few more!

Please don't only write to your local MEP-write to as many as possible. Volume of correspondence is what we need here, and to be honest it's origin is not critical!

Keep up the pressure!

Adam

For all those have got replies, please keep them as evidence should the MEP "renege" or feel the pressure to change their minds. Apart from confirmed bachelors, politicians are commitmentphobes.

Such actions as politicians reneging on commitments are a very sick joke in the UK at the moment!

I wrote a personal email but sadly this issue is nothing new.

Hi Paul,

I agree, but we are so close! 350 MEPs have signed-we only need a few more. Anything we as individuals can do or attempt to do needs to be done now!

Otherwise we just give up and accept the status quo. Write again!

Adam

Just posted in Sharkproject, a german group in facebook, they have more than 5500 members.

Let's see if somebody reacts.

Such actions as politicians reneging on commitments are a very sick joke in the UK at the moment!

I wrote a personal email but sadly this issue is nothing new.

As Adam says, we either sit around and accept that our elected officials are idiots, or tell them if they want to get elected again, they'd better play ball. That is why I am personally kinda disappointed with this turnout. An important opportunity like this doesn't come often. This is more significant than any other campaign in the world right now. And it's up to the Europeans to do something about it.

I wrote individual emails (although from the aware template) to all dutch MEP's but havent had a reply.

Its not easy getting an acknowledgement from Kay Swinburne :)

I've just had a reply from Dr Swinburne's secretary asking for my postal address in her consituency. Therefore it would appear to be futile to attempt to bamboozle the MEPs which havn't declared with mass mailings...

Tim,

I've sent over 30 emails, and not had any asking for an address, so please go ahead and write. Simply flagging that there is an issue is better than looking for reasons to avoid doing so! I've now had two replies saying that they will sign and neither of these are from my constituency MEPs so it is worth the effort!

Doing nothing is not an option! If anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the message through I'm all ears!

Adam

It wouldn't surprise me that those MEPs who want to hold out anyways would demand such. Politicians want to make sure they represent the people who elected them. Swinburne's constituency is Wales, which has boats who have the permits to shark fin. I doubt it's in her interest to do otherwise. Hence the hardline! Concentrate on the others!

5 more days till the declaration ends!

Edit: My info is outdated. Since 2009, Defra's UK Fisheries Minister Huw Irranca-Davies announced that all sharks landed must have fin intact and that those permits would no longer be issued and old permits be cancelled. Thus if any UK MEP isn't signing, it's because they are not aware or don't care about the declaration.

I apologize for my outdated information.

Swinburne responded with a non-committal waffle. I've asked her to be specific - yes or no.

post-13968-1292430138.jpg

Edited by Timmoranuk

Hi all,

As Andres has pointed out, at the end of the session yesterday, 410 MEPs have now signed the Written Declaration. This is well over the 369 signatures we needed for a simple majority. The Written Decleration will be announced in the next plenary sesssion of the European Parliament.

This means that we DID IT! All of you who who wrote to the MEPs did make a difference. It is important to pioint out how much of an impacy this legislation can make: one in three of shark fins in the trade are from EU registered boats. This will. in effect, stop this. Potentially we reduce the supply by one third.

It is also unfortunately necessary to sound a note of caution on two fronts. Firstly, this means that the we still have a long road to go until we have legislation that forces boats to land the full shark (and makes the trade uneconomic). We need to keep the motivation and pressure up to make this happen. We have proved that we can make a difference with the legislators in Europe, so lets keep doing so. If you hear of MEPs who need "bolstering" on the issue, let us all know!

Secondly, cutting supply is only one part. The hardest task is to cut demand, and this ultimately is where the survival of sharks will rest. Please support campaigns like Sharksavers "I pledge..."

Sorry to sound gloomy, thanks to you all, I have the best Christmas present possible-the potential for actually stopping a part of this heinous trade. Thank you all!

Adam

It is definitely a long process and part of this process will be the continuation of this declaration in the form of the public consultation by the EU Commission:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39053

The realistic options are to force boats to keep sharks intact. This should cut shark catch by 80-90% as there's a lot less space on boats. We also need this to be stringently enforced as we all know that fishermen will cheat!.

The fight isn't over but thanks to all who stepped up and made a difference!

Please also thank the MEP who you "harassed" and tell them to make sure the legislation sticks!

It is also unfortunately necessary to sound a note of caution on two fronts. Firstly, this means that the we still have a long road to go until we have legislation that forces boats to land the full shark (and makes the trade uneconomic). We need to keep the motivation and pressure up to make this happen. We have proved that we can make a difference with the legislators in Europe, so lets keep doing so. If you hear of MEPs who need "bolstering" on the issue, let us all know!

Secondly, cutting supply is only one part. The hardest task is to cut demand, and this ultimately is where the survival of sharks will rest. Please support campaigns like Sharksavers "I pledge..."

Adam

And thirdly, enforcement...

PS. written before I read your last post Drew...

Edited by Timmoranuk

If what has been achieved here is to potentailly reduce the supply of fin by up to 30% (the European contribution) whilst demand remains constant or may be rising, will this result in the rise in the value of fin?

If so, may this lead to increasing fishing pressure in the remaining fisheries and also may attention now be directed to previously uneconomically accessible stocks which will become attractive targets as a result of increased value? If EU vessels are now constrained to land whole carcassess and this is uneconomic at the present value of fin, would an increase in market price make this a commercially viable option?

On the flip side, one may also hypothesise that demand may decrease as the price of fin reaches a threashold which the consumer finds unattractive...

The battle is won but the war is certainly not...

Guys-so negative!

This is an achievement. We have won a battle not the war, but it is a significant victory nevertheless. Stop looking for the negative and be happy that we have taken a positive step in the right direction. If we constantly look at the challenges and ignore our successes we will lose momentum.

Be Happy! :P

Adam

Don't think about prices and stock of sharks, that's exactly how the rest of the world sees the sharks, like a product.

We are saving lives here!!!

This is a great achievement, there is really hope for the sharks and maybe for us. :P

Thank you all who participated in this campaign.

Great work all who participated!!!

Indeed it's good news and shows once again that it's us individuals, who hopefully CAN make some difference (not sure if the signature numbers would be this high without all the e-mails that we sent).

I belive allso there's no need to look for negative sides here, but we should be realistic and no let us fall off the race with this achivement. There's still lots to be done!!!

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming :P

Cheers

Karel

Swinburne responded with a non-committal waffle. I've asked her to be specific - yes or no.

Well, Swinburne's letter to me has been proven to be no more than a shallow platitude, indicative of duplicitous morality. She did not sign the Written Declaration - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc...amp;language=EN

I feel more than a little aggrieved and I am inclined to put in place an action whereby she is brought to account. Your thoughts on this please...

Edited by Timmoranuk

Well Tim, politicians hardly ever do anything that don't benefit themselves, directly or indirectly. Swinburne is the Welsh rep and from what I remember (my info is outdated obviously), Wales use to have boats which had permits to fin sharks. The lowest count for all countries is Spain, which is not surprising since their fleet has the most permits issued. Perhaps there is some sort of backroom deal among the fishing companies and their contributions to the politicians? Maybe the ECR is trying to curry the fishing constituents?

Either way, unless you raise hell in Wales, I doubt there's much you can do to make her pay. Perhaps you should talk to Paul Kay?

Thanks for that Drew.

Yup, I had a chat with Paul and subsequently with Ali Hood at the Shark Trust. There is a pragmatic postition to take here insofar as a issue made over Swinburne's anomolous reponse may be contra-productinve in the grand scheme of things, as perceived by the Shark Trust. Ali also pointed out that there a number of Conservative MEPs who will not support the parlimentary process of Written Decarations on a point of principle. This may apply to Swinburne. So its a case of allowing sleeping dogs to enjoy their rest...

Whilst takling to Ali she mentioned Gordon Ramsay's Channel Four series on finning. No transmission dates yet but here's the www info:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-ramsay-shark-bait

Edited by Timmoranuk

Yes, Ramsay, Oliver, Whittingsall and Dawson are all doing a sustainable food source series. I remember Whittingsall was in the Maldives for his episode for sustainable fishing practices.

Sponsors

Advertisements