Sign in to follow this  
scottleslie

ikelite manual ev controller

I've never used this unit. Can it be used in the following way: one strobe attached to the housing with cord, set to TTL for WA close-up, and a second strobe placed away from the scene lighting the background (eg to backlight a clump of kelp, say) or a distant diver with the ev controller attached as a slave unit to fire the strobe at whichever manual ev I decide. Will it work for this purpose? I used to be able to do this with the TTL slave back in the day! Thanks very much!

Anybody?

I believe you can as the EV Controller just needs to see the flash to activate. I Don't know anything about TTL though but it seems like it ought to work at least.

I believe you can as the EV Controller just needs to see the flash to activate. I Don't know anything about TTL though but it seems like it ought to work at least.

Thanks.

That is exactly how I use mine, so as Nick says, it will work. Two things though.

As Nick says, the controller needs to see the flash to work - sometimes it is surprising how close, or how far, you need/can be for that. Given your water conditions, specifically turbidity, you may want to experiment a little with the distance.

Secondly, if your slave strobe is set to TTL and the controller on "full" or set to no amount of exposure comp, it looks as though the TTL doesn't really work well from the slave. Maybe check with Ikelite on the technical details, but in some cases where I wanted to limit the exposure from the slave, it had to be turned down on the EV controller.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements