Sign in to follow this  
Swordfish

Smart charger not as smart?

Hi. I think my Ikelite "smart" charger (for my DS-125) does not seem to know how to trickle charge. I know that the green light is supposed to go on once the battery is fully charged. Mine doesn't. Well, sometimes it does. But most of the time it doesn't. The orange light stays on forever, which means the battery is probably continously charged even if it is already fully charged (the manual says 1.5 hours total for the DS-125).

My CHARGER model is BCM3510 Rev A Type 1200103N

Ikelite's web sites says this about its Smart Charger:

"This new charger features the latest negative delta-v pulse charge technology to provide more complete charging while keeping the batteries cool for longer battery life. It also conditions the cells and usually provides more flashes per charge."

Well, my battery stays REALLY hot after one-and-a-half or two hours of charging. What do you think is the problem? Is it the Ni-Cad battery pack or the "smart" charger? I don't have a way of knowing since I don't have an extra battery pack. I bought the strobe and the charger (plus ULCS arms) about three or four months ago on the Internet from uwcp.com. Please don't tell me to send the charger/battery pack back to Ikelite. My first problem with the manual controller was enough headache!

Help!

Regards,

Norman/Swordfish

The behavior of my SmartCharger never seemed to exactly match the guide written on it. On mine, the green light (diode) is just a power indicator - it is on whenever the charger is plugged in, even when there is no battery connected. (What's written on the charger would seem - to me - to indicate that it should only be on when there is a battery connected.)

The orange light (diode) should be steady on when you first connect a battery (quick charging), then switch from steady on to blinking once the battery is fully (or mostly) charged, at which point the charger is supposedly delivering a trickle charge. If that's not happening, something may be wrong with your charger.

But it could also be a problem with the battery(ies). If the battery can't take a full charge - or to put another way, if the charger isn't seeing the voltage it expects that would signal a full charge - then even a properly functioning charger would keep charging.

(I've never understand what the "pending mode" described on the outside of the charger is supposed to mean.)

Before today, I used to get the green light when the battery becomes fully charged. But now, as I said, the orange diode stays on forever. Even before, when I left the battery pack connected to the charger plugged to the mains outlet, the green light just stayed on, indicating that the battery had been fully charged. I never saw the orange light blink, which according to the manual should indicate a problem with the battery pack (fast blinking) or trickle charge (slow blinking). What gives?

I think we must have different models.

I'd contact Ikelite directly. They're usually pretty responsive.

Robert

We have been battling the supplier who contended last batch of chargers was fine.

BCM3510 model designation indicates possible problem and we will exchange for BCW3510 model which does what it is supposed to do.

We remember them as BCM (M for may not work) and BCW (W for works)............

Hi Ike. Would like to know how long it will take you to replace the charger. I'm from Manila (Philippines) and you will remember me from

http://www.digitaldiver.info/yabbse/index....d=2874;start=30

I was the one whose manual controller switch did not work.

Too bad, I've had all sorts of problems and it's not easy for me because I'm too far away and we don't have a local Ikelite dealer. I think there's one but they only sell flashlights. And I doubt they will pay attention to me since I bought directly from the Internet (Ryan Canon of www.uwcp.com)

The charger still works (it does charge my battery pack), its only problem is that it does not do trickle charge. But once I send it back, that means I won't be able to use my strobe -- and I won't be able to dive (I can't imagine myself diving w/o a camera and diving with a camera w/o my strobe).

Anyway, I want to know the exact procedure and how much it would cost me (sigh). Thank you.

Regards,

Norman/Swordfish

Ike has offered to send me a new charger without having to first send the defective charger back.

He just asked me to send the old one "at your convenience by cheapest method."

Regards,

Norman/Swordfish

You can't ask for much more than that. Glad to hear this is going to work out.

Hi. My Ikelite REALLY Smart Charger arrived last night. =B)Now it knows how to trickle charge -- the yellow light blinks fast after a full charge.

The model is BCW and written on the body is "Revision B." The charger is also bigger than the defective one I had.

Thanks to Ikelite!

Regards,

Norman/Swordfish

Hello I sent my defect smart charger 7 weeks ago!!!!!!! through my dealer in the netherlands to ikelite. I am leaving tomorrow to the bahamas for a trip with the Abernythes looking for great hammerheads lucky for me my lokal dealer offered me a exchange smart charger. If it was for ilelite I wouldn't be able to fire a strobe. So that would be the quick Ikelite respons? I ordered at B+H a Nikon 60mm nikor I got it within 4 days delivered that is what I mean with quick service. after all Holland hasn't the jungle as for the philipines or Indonesia.

Rob

Rob, I'd we willing to bet that the delay has to do with your dealer......not Ikelite

Karl

We are not comfortable selling products directly to the customer, but do encourage customers to deal directly with us for repairs and problems.

In fairness to your dealer, we were out of Smart Chargers for a month because last batch were not operating correctly when we tested them. Convincing the supplier was an inexcusable fight............

hi Ike,

thanks for letting me know what the reason is for the delay. When do you think that you can deliver the smartcharger to my dealer?

I think it is always better to let somebody (or the dealer) know what the reason is for the delay so one can be patient then in stead of just waiting every day and look if the smart charger has arrived. I don't think my local dealer has to blamed for this he did a generous offer by giving me a spare smartcharger.

Rob

We finally received chargers March 30th. Next problem is strobe availability because we are between two and four weeks behind on filling orders............

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements