Mehmet Gungen

Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish

I shot the photos of a Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish at 30meters.

Since the location was quite deep i made all the shots with strobes.

Even though the photos are clear with good focus and the clown fish are normally exposed the anemone which was gloving with very bright red color looks like an ordinary one.

Due to the depth I think that it probably is not a suitable case for filters. Even if i could catch the bright color of the anemone the fish probably would be either underexposed or blurred.

Is there any advice you could provide?

I shot the photos of a Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish at 30meters.

Since the location was quite deep i made all the shots with strobes.

Even though the photos are clear with good focus and the clown fish are normally exposed the anemone which was gloving with very bright red color looks like an ordinary one.

Due to the depth I think that it probably is not a suitable case for filters. Even if i could catch the bright color of the anemone the fish probably would be either underexposed or blurred.

Is there any advice you could provide?

Yup, I've seen those in PNG and they never come out as bright as my eye sees them. Most other flourescent colors do the same thing, in my experience. Oh, well.....

As I understand it, the fluorescence is the result of light refraction from existing ambient light. It doesn't actually glow, and you would not be able to see in the dark. Hence, the strobe overpowers and washes it out.

As I understand it, the fluorescence is the result of light refraction from existing ambient light. It doesn't actually glow, and you would not be able to see in the dark. Hence, the strobe overpowers and washes it out.

If this is the case, filter photography using the ambient light should be the only way to capture it.

Even shooting without a filter and shooting raw at a high enough ISO to get a good exposure at reasonable shutter and f-stop would be worth trying.

Just need to shoot all ambient.

Maybe not the same variety of Anemone that you have been discussing, but similar in colour.

iso 100

1/160

F11

With strobes

60mm Canon

Stew

post-5742-1295731842.jpg

Edited by stewsmith

That is a coral, Stew. But nice color on it with the strobes anyways.

Regards

Bent

Maybe not the same variety of Anemone that you have been discussing, but similar in colour.

iso 100

1/160

F11

With strobes

60mm Canon

Stew

I decided to try getting the real color of that anemone during another dive after I posted here.

I had a wide angle lens and magic filter when we were diving there with a different route. I had chance to get down to that location with around 2 minutes non deco bottom time.

I spent almost half of it trying to make custom white balance however my D200 failed. Than I decided to shoot and making white balance afterwards. (with this purpose i shot my hand too)

I took several shots while the anemone fish absolutely not be corporative and swimming elsewhere instead of being in front of the anemone till the end of my non deco bottom time.

Even though the attached photo is far from being an example of a good composition the color of the anemone is totally the same as it looks there at ~30meters. It is shot without any strobes. Even The fish is with underexposure while anemone glowing there has a contrast with surrounding objects.

I think it would be possible to get a good shot with a new generation SLR with higher low ISO performance and with a macro lens with a magic filter on.

On the other hand i think the anemone fish would still be underexposed if the exposure shall be based on anemone :-/

post-5430-1298749507.jpg

That is a coral, Stew. But nice color on it with the strobes anyways.

Regards

Bent

plate coral isnt it?

Hi All,

I am trying to capture red vs green fluorescence but am having trouble with having the red come through. I am using a canon G11 equipped with a 530 nm long pass filter and a strobe with 475 nm excitation light. Any hints on how your guys get such great shots of the red fluorescence?

Mehmet, stunning shot! Absolutely wonderful. Who cares if the clown fish is underexposed?!?? The anemone is just beautiful!

Great job!

Don

Sponsors

Advertisements