Sign in to follow this  
gavinparsons

Fads and phases

Recently there has been a resurgence of the snoot in underwater photography. They were popular in the 90s, when most where made of flower pot or washing up liquid bottles, now you can buy purpose made ones for various strobes. Snoot photography is pretty tricky, the images are certainly striking, but of limited appeal so I started to wonder how long this fad would last and whether photographers would abandon their expensive snoots within a year? At least my last snoot just cost me an ear bashing for nicking a flower pot out of the shed!

So this being the start of a new year I thought it would be fun for others to share their thoughts on what is going to not be here by the end of the year.

Well, I don't know if it will disappear by the end of the year, but I can't see mask-integrated cameras and/or video taking off. Too easy to damage, too easy to lose and too small for a quality camera.

When Peter Rowlands saw me fluorescent coral shots recently in Egypt - he commented that he'd soon be hearing the sound of hundreds of snoots landing in waste paper baskets!

On a serious point, I think fashions/trends/fads are much stronger in underwater photography these days because the community is so much better connected with each other.

Alex

When Peter Rowlands saw me fluorescent coral shots recently in Egypt - he commented that he'd soon be hearing the sound of hundreds of snoots landing in waste paper baskets!

On a serious point, I think fashions/trends/fads are much stronger in underwater photography these days because the community is so much better connected with each other.

Alex

I just copy you Alex. That way I am always just slightly out of fashion. :)

Fluorescent UV next.

Disappearing fad: The use of powerful strobes/lights on delicate animals ... :)

Dive safe

DeanB

Fluorescent UV next.

Fun but wicked hard. I shot a bunch of fluorescence shots in Indonesia with some "interesting" results but for me at least was a giant PITA.

Bill

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements