Sign in to follow this  
Gudge

Byron Bay and Tweed Heads

Between pissing rain and the floods we haven't managed to get any local diving in Brisbane since moving east and have looked for areas further afield to do some diving. On Australia Day we hitched up the boat and took it for its first Pacific Ocean run from Tweed Heads out to Cook Island. Conditions weren't very good with a lot of surge and very dirty water but it looks like a great macro spot in good conditions. Here's a few from the two dives we did there taken using my Canon 100 macro with Canon 500D close-up lens:

1169834846_JgxXQ-M.jpg

1169834859_3kUKP-M.jpg

1169834928_MPHFo-M.jpg

1169834948_L7awh-M.jpg

The following day we dragged ourselves out of bed at 3:30am and trekked down to Byron Bay for a couple of dives at Julian Rocks. Conditions there were much better than at Cook Island and there were heaps of sharks, rays and turtles around. Here's a few shots taken using my Tokina 10-17:

1170433663_Cs35b-M.jpg

1170433682_TsgWW-M.jpg

1170433703_c4etP-L.jpg

1170433744_BpmVt-L.jpg

Lots more photos from our all our dives in Northern NSW here:

http://www.submersiveimages.com/Underwater...149180978_pJR7w

Glad to see you're all moved and back in the water Gudge. Looks like you're back in business.

Cheers,

Steve

Nice collection Ross. Good to have you and Mary down this way. Hopefully next time your down I can show you around more.

Regards Mark

I scrolled down to #5 and said WOW. Then I kept going and got to the rays ... another wow.

Really like those shots Gudge, 5 is my fave though, love the sun rays, blues and greens in the water and, of course, the Leopard shark makes the shot :P

Fantastic! What a wonderful collection. What is up with the gazillion rays in one place?

What is up with the gazillion rays in one place?
I don't really know, this was only the second time I had dived at Byron Bay. I've been told that at various times of the year they get large numbers of various rays and sharks in the area. Apart from these rays we saw a lot of Bull Rays and Leopard Sharks plus the odd Eagle Ray, Wobbegong Shark and White Spotted Guitarfish. I've been told that Manta Rays and Cow Nose Rays will turn up in large numbers in the near future and later on in the year there will be Grey Nurse/Sand Tiger/Ragged Tooth sharks as well. It is a great place to dive, we're going to be regular visitors there in the future.

I was told be a Marine scientist that the Blue Spotted Maskrays are involved in a post mating congregation at Julian Rocks. They have mated elsewhere and all the females have come down to Byron for an bit of R n R. Which kind of explains a few things as about all the Maskrays are Female. I first thought they are down here for a mating frenzy or something.

Regards Mark

Edited by Aussiebyron

Great shots Gudge. You'll love diving around that area, I know I still miss it. Cook Island can be a great WA site as well in good conditions, although it still doesn't rival Julian IMO.

I see you'll be at the photo shootout in May, look forward to seeing you then.

Ryan.

I scrolled down to #5 and said WOW. Then I kept going and got to the rays ... another wow.

I'll second to this!

Love the Leopard shark shot and the group of Rays

Hoy Gudge,

Despite the p**sing rain...you made up for it!

Jeez, if I could get shots like this, it could p*ss rain on me all the time!!

This post brings to mind a few lyrics from the song 'Mad Man Moon' written by Genesis- on the album 'Trick of the Tail'

It goes like this....

'Here in the valley of shadowless death

They pray for thunderclouds to rain

But for the multitude who stand in the rain

Heaven is where the sun shines...'

Beautiful stuff my friend...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements