Drew

Scarlet prototype video

Ted Schilowitz shows off the Scarlet prototype at Sundance:

I found this both informative and interesting. Couldn't tell whether or not it was a fixed lens or not as they originally had said it would be. Disappointed that it is literally double in price from the original $3,000 they said it would be. I like the size and shape and can just imaging how much the Gates or Amphibico housings will cost for it. Back to being homeless I guess but at least I will have the cam.

steve

I found this both informative and interesting. Couldn't tell whether or not it was a fixed lens or not as they originally had said it would be. Disappointed that it is literally double in price from the original $3,000 they said it would be. I like the size and shape and can just imaging how much the Gates or Amphibico housings will cost for it. Back to being homeless I guess but at least I will have the cam.

steve

this one is fixed, which is a shame as attachments will never be as good as dedicated lenses. But what might be interesting is that it could be contained in a really small housing, the controls separated into the handles and the lcd screen as a separate entity on a moveable rod.

but the touch screen is worrying a little, are all the basic controls available through a lanc or equivalent?

I think this is going to be the unit for a standard underwater set up as the fixed lens will help out a lot with housing/port design. The touch screen is worrying me too a little bit, but I have no answer to what manual or lanc controls are available. I guess we will have to wait and see.....

Fixed lens? That seems to be a bad move on RED's part. This will kill the choice for a lot of people I bet.

Fixed lens? That seems to be a bad move on RED's part. This will kill the choice for a lot of people I bet.

I think they are still going to be offering an interchangeable lens model too, but the fixed lens model was always on the agenda and will probably be the first to see the light of day. Then again this is RED we are talking about so anything could happen! :(

Hey there, I'm the one that filmed that!

Ted was awesome and so was Scarlet.

Good question on the control in a housing.

I suspect you could make an adapter to plug in to where the REDmote/modules hook on in the back. That must have access to everything in that connector.

The fixed lens is very good. I'm sure these will be a staple for the 3D film industry as you can gen lock them and sync their focus/zooms.

There will be a Scarlet interchangeable model. Last word was around $3000 for that. But, they've added HDR to it, so probably more like $4000 for 3k Red Raw shooting. Fixed will be out first.

There will be a Scarlet interchangeable model.

Really? ;) Sounds intriguing ...

Dive safe

DeanB

Here are some pics of the Scarlet line.

red_scarlet1.jpg

The one in the middle is the interchangeable model. The one on the right is now an Epic S.

red_scarlet2.jpg

red_scarlet3.jpg

Scarlet fixed and interchangeable side by side.

red_scarlet6.jpg

Scarlet interchangeable with RED MicroPrime prototypes.

red_scarlet8.jpg

And when Gates or someone makes a housing for it.

Steve

Dean buddy, are you holding your breath now? You look good in blue :D

;) Not for me at the mo bud... Maybe in a few years when I've worked out how to open my babies Piggy bank ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

Off to see Ted tonight he is doing an Epic presentation and I believe he has Scarlet too.

Will be interesting although the audience will be filled with a load of RED groupies I would imagine (have you guys seen how much arse kissing goes on on that forum :))

Off to see Ted tonight he is doing an Epic presentation and I believe he has Scarlet too.

Will be interesting although the audience will be filled with a load of RED groupies I would imagine (have you guys seen how much arse kissing goes on on that forum ;))

Just had a look ... Most of them have shrines to Jim in their bedrooms. Probably because Mr Jannard posts on there pretty regularly... Eric gets the same adulation on here :)

Scarlet looks pretty cool although I will probably wait until next year for any 'major' equipment upgrade. Have to keep it real :) The Joneses can get on with it for now...

Dive safe

Dean(I love you Jim)B

Scarlet looks pretty cool although I will probably wait until next year for any 'major' equipment upgrade. Have to keep it real :) The Joneses can get on with it for now...

Don't worry Scarlet wont be out by then anyway!! :)

Eventually one year when we say that, we will be wrong. So I am not going say that anymore, law of averages need to catch up :)

So true and the chance of a housing by then is pretty much bugger all.

What I think those is the current RED 1'a will drop to below 12K (estimated cost of Epic S) and there are a fair few knocking around with cheaper (Aquavideo etc) housings, So you could pick up a 4K underwater Red unit for a reasonable price.

So true and the chance of a housing by then is pretty much bugger all.

What I think those is the current RED 1'a will drop to below 12K (estimated cost of Epic S) and there are a fair few knocking around with cheaper (Aquavideo etc) housings, So you could pick up a 4K underwater Red unit for a reasonable price.

12K... reasonable ... Am I on the wrong forum :)

Dive safe

DeanB

Well just got back. Met Ted and he is a super nice guy. Epic was there and working, so was fixed lens Scarlet, played with both, looked at the R3D files and did some colour grading. Did some stuff with RED rocket too which was amazing editing 5K files natively no probs at all.

They are definitely alive and working, Epic is awesome, such a solid unit and we were in a dark theater and you could push it up to 5000 iso and it looked good, really good, in fact better than my 7D at 640 iso and that isn't looking good on a 5" screen, it looked good on a full size movie screen.

Great tools but definitely not the right choice for everyone,

Regarding timelines obviously Ted wasn't confirming but suggested

Epic will start going out to Stage 2 customers April / May and be available for purchase around Oct / Nov (maybe)

Scarlet Fixed July / august

Epic S - End of the year

Good thing for Epic S is that it is the same body as Epic X which means same housing, so by the time Epic S is ready housings may also be already at the same time.

Oh one thing I did forget is that it (Epic) will come with either PL, Nikon or Canon mount and the Nikon and Canon will have access to Auto focus with tracking feature, plus you will be able to use electronic exposure. RED also also developing their own proprietor electronic mount.

Edited by jonny shaw

Get a better look at the Scarlet on engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/working...o-hands-on-vid/

Has anyone heard of a housing manufacturer getting ready for the Scarlett? Hope someone like L&M is having a serious look at this camera. You'd want a quality housing to take a 6 grand camera underwater...

It looks like it'll make an excellent UW video camera - compact, quality, etc, at a not-completely-unaffordable price. Without the handgrip, it looks like it would fit into something not much bigger than an L&M Bluefin housing. But then, without the handgrip, the housing would need to supply the battery power.

Time to start saving...

I know Gates are looking at Epic, not to sure about Scarlet but it wouldn't surprise me if they do

Sponsors

Advertisements