toddmcgill

teleconverter confusion

hey guys im hoping someone can help me with some tc questions, i am looking to add a tc to my aresenal but am confused as to which tc will work with what lenses,

the main lenses i am looking to use it with would be the tokina 10-17 nikon 60mm micro and the 105 mm vr micro, when i look at these lenses on the compatibility chart it seems there isnt a tc that will work with all of them, but then when i read posts here doing research it seems there are people useing the tc with all of these lenses, so my question is to those of you useing a 1.4 tc with these lenses can you tell me what brand and model it is that will work with all of the lenses i mentioned.

thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

A Tokina T/C will work with both; a Nikon only with the 105mm, but it will have (a little) better performance.

Tim

:)

I've done some testing with TCs recently. "Will work" is a broad term. If it will mount on your camera and lens, it will work, but whether you have metering and AF functions is another matter. IQ is another matter. Despite losing an f-stop or two, most TCs degrad IQ to varying degrees. What I've found is that the closer you can stay with manufactures the better the IQ and functions. Staying within the same generation lens/TC/camera helps as well. If you are shooting a Nikon, and IQ is important, buy a Nikon TC.

Whether it works or not depends upon how critical you are of IQ. Good TCs cost about as much as a medium-range prime. Many see it is a cheap way to extend FL, but even with TCs, you get what you pay for, and I don't think any of them amount to the IQ of a telephoto of equal length to the lens/TC combination.

hey guys im hoping someone can help me with some tc questions, i am looking to add a tc to my aresenal but am confused as to which tc will work with what lenses,

the main lenses i am looking to use it with would be the tokina 10-17 nikon 60mm micro and the 105 mm vr micro, when i look at these lenses on the compatibility chart it seems there isnt a tc that will work with all of them, but then when i read posts here doing research it seems there are people useing the tc with all of these lenses, so my question is to those of you useing a 1.4 tc with these lenses can you tell me what brand and model it is that will work with all of the lenses i mentioned.

thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

I believe that the Kenko 1.4 (300 pro version) will autofocus with all three lenses, unlike the Nikkor version that will not work with the Tokina or the 60. Some folks claim that the Kenko is a bit soft, and others claim that it is sharp enough but that will depend a bit on how much pixel peeping you are in to. I use the Kenko version on my Canon 100 macro and on my 60 macro with a Canon extension tube and I think that for what I am interested in (mostly macro stuff with relatively shallow DOF) it is fine.

Bill

I believe that the Kenko 1.4 (300 pro version) will autofocus with all three lenses, unlike the Nikkor version that will not work with the Tokina or the 60. Some folks claim that the Kenko is a bit soft, and others claim that it is sharp enough but that will depend a bit on how much pixel peeping you are in to. I use the Kenko version on my Canon 100 macro and on my 60 macro with a Canon extension tube and I think that for what I am interested in (mostly macro stuff with relatively shallow DOF) it is fine.

Bill

I used the older Kenko 1.4x 300 Pro on the Tokina 10-17 (Nikon F mount) and the older 60 marco D (not S, ED). Works fine.

Bob

thanks for the replies guys ,image quality is definitely important to me but im not sure what others consider acceptable.but i definitely want sharp focus, sounds like the only real option however is the kenko,or to buy more than one tc.i think ill probably try the kenko and see what the results are like , I can always ebay it if i dont like it.

thanks again for the responses.

I have the Kento 2:1 which I tried on an Af-105-VR. I feel that to need access to the manual focus ring. Autofocus is iffy underwater. You can't do this with many housings.

Sponsors

Advertisements