Sign in to follow this  
loopy

Coolpix 5400

They way I understand it, there's a hassle with housings for this camera, because none of them can fit the wide angle lens in? Has this problem been solved?

The camera lens retracts from fully extended position when in wide angle, putting it too far from the lens port to add optional external wide angle lenses. Nikon's supplemental wide angle lens for the camera is too large to be utilized inside of the housing. But, the camera features a very good 28mm lens capable of providing excellent results underwater............

Ah bummer - cheers mate. Are there any housings which can fit an external wide angle?

I looked at the 5400 for a while -- its telephoto range made it desirable topside. But after a lot of checking, I went with the 5000 because of underwater WA, which was paramount for me. If you don't have a 5400 in hand, you might consider going with a 5000 (available on eBay every day), and adding a teleconverter if needed topside.

Well yeah, that's why I was looking at the 5400, because I thought I missed the bandwagon for the 5000... are there any issues order an american camera from aus? Like maybe the power pack or something has a different connection?

Actually I just noticed on the Subal site, they're bringing out another housing for it... has anyone seen this?

Loopy,

I have just trod the same path as you.

Decided to buy a second hand 5000 on Ebay after finding out the limitations of the 5400 UW. Its still an excellent topside camera with time lapse and extra zoom length and function dial which the 5000 doesn't have, so I wont be selling it.

You can get 5000's for $750ish at the moment and they will only get cheaper.

Should be able to get a CP5000 for not much more than $400 US (plus shipping) on eBay ... and sometimes cheaper.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements