christianh

D300 vs D300s (Sea & Sea setup)

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my d70 Sea&Sea rig to a D300 or D300s.

For the camera body, I don't have a problem with paying a couple of hundred $ extra for the d300S (I would prefer doing so), but the Sea & Sea MDX-D300S is 3.800$ compared to 2.800$ for the discontinued MDX-d300.

Does anyone have experience in using both these houses?

Does the MDX-D300S have advantages that's worth 1000$ for the housing only?

The comparisons I've read between d300 and d300s bodies doesn't seem to be worth the extra cost for me.

I've already invested in Sea&Sea so don't want to go with another brand (unless I can reuse the ports and strobes). Other brands seem to offer cheaper D300S houses though :/.

The reason for the difference in price between the MDX-D300S and the MDX-D300 is that the MDX-D300 is discontinued. Once the MDX-D300S it will be a lot cheaper also. If your on a budget and don't have to have the latest product then I would suggest you settle for a used D300 and the MDX-D300 and take the savings and go on a trip.

For land shoot yes, for UW not much if u don't shoot Video. Nauticam have adapter for SnS port......

I read up on Nauticam and their port adapters, seems I can still use my S&S gear.

Nauticam has more housing options than S&S, so I'll restart my investigation with this brand in mind (and go trough the numerous d7000 vs d300s comparisons).

Thanks for your feedback.

I read up on Nauticam and their port adapters, seems I can still use my S&S gear.

Nauticam has more housing options than S&S, so I'll restart my investigation with this brand in mind (and go trough the numerous d7000 vs d300s comparisons).

Thanks for your feedback.

good choice...go for D7000 or wait D400

good choice...go for D7000 or wait D400

Why wait? The difference between a D300 and a D70 is amazing! Yes, the D7000 is a shade better in some important areas. If you wait for a new design it will still be superceded a little later...

... the video on the D300s doesn't justify buying the camera over a D300: if video is important, then the D7000 must be the one to go for.

Tim

:(

I've shot both the 300 and 300s.

I shoot the 300 at 400 ISO max. I find the IQ of the 300s just as good at ISO 800.

Very useful UW and worth getting the 300s over the 300.

I've shot both the 300 and 300s.

I shoot the 300 at 400 ISO max. I find the IQ of the 300s just as good at ISO 800.

Very useful UW and worth getting the 300s over the 300.

On that subject, I shoot a DX D200 at 100ISO and find no real difference to the D300. However, I shoot a FX D700 at 4000ISO and the results are remarkable for their high quality and absence of noise.

Edited by John Bantin

Sponsors

Advertisements