Sign in to follow this  
wommby

Problem with Nauticam 4.33" mini dome

Hi Wetpixelers,

Have recently asked if the Sigma 15mm fisheye will work with the Nauticam 4.33" mini dome. I got some replies and apparently it should. Even by the Nauticam port list it is the one to use with no extensions. Well, I have purchased it and the Sigma 15mm fisheye does not fit, the hood on the lens hits the front of the dome and will not fit in by about 5mm.

Has anyone else had this problem and what have they done to fix it. I am thinking a 10mm extension but not sure if this will change anything for the proper working of the lens. Unable to get onto our local Nauticam dealer (probably because of the recent cyclone). I am heading to Byron Bay next week and wanted to try and have this usable with this dome.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Deb

I've always been told the mini dome only works with the Tokina 10-17...I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you can return the Sigma and get the 10-17 your problem is solved.

Mike

Hi Deb,

I'll look into this for you and get back with an answer as soon as possible for you.

Alex

Thanks Alex, just spoke to Peter Mooney and he thinks maybe a 20mm extension would work.

Deb

I've always been told the mini dome only works with the Tokina 10-17...I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you can return the Sigma and get the 10-17 your problem is solved.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

This was what I am going to do but because I have a full frame I need to attach a 1.4x teleconverter and this then gives me a 14-24mm (just like on a cropped sensor). It is just that I already have the Sigma lens and haven't got a Tokina lens yet. I went ahead and bought the dome because I thought I would be able to at least use the Sigma in it until I got the Tokina lens.

Deb

Hi All,

Wanted to let people know that after sending an email to Nauticam International asking for reasons that this wasn't fitting and for solutions that I have had a reply from them. I contacted Nauticam International after I was unable to raise Peter Mooney due to the recent cyclones in Cairns. They didn't realise themselves that the hood on the Sigma 15mm was going to be too big for this mini dome without any extensions. They think that either a 10mm or 20mm will fix the problem.

They have been very kind and are sending me both extensions to see what fixes the problems at no cost to me.

This is what I call fantastic customer service and can only tell everyone how grateful I am and how wonderful the service has been from Nauticam in Cairns and Internationally. Peter Mooney from Cairns has been a wealth of help and information and has always given me fantastic service with all my purchases. I can recommend Nauticam to anyone. There products are great and easy to use.

I am eager to receive these extension to try them out. Will post some photos when I do.

Deb

Hi Deb

This is the same problem as i am.the mini dome and extensions are not work with the sigma 15mm fe .you have to cut the lens hood on the lens about 10mm.and maybe also the dome hood..

Regards

Pao

Hi Deb,

Would you like to burrow my Tokina 10-17mm when I am not using next week when you come up to Byron? The offer is there if you want to try it out.

The Conditions are looking really good for next week. South East and Easterly winds are predicted all week which means more warm blue clear water to arrive. Today they had 15m vis with over a dozen Leopards and 3 Manta's. I am expecting the vis to go 30m+ by next week and who knows what might turn up.

Regards Mark

Hi Deb,

Would you like to burrow my Tokina 10-17mm when I am not using next week when you come up to Byron? The offer is there if you want to try it out.

The Conditions are looking really good for next week. South East and Easterly winds are predicted all week which means more warm blue clear water to arrive. Today they had 15m vis with over a dozen Leopards and 3 Manta's. I am expecting the vis to go 30m+ by next week and who knows what might turn up.

Regards Mark

Thanks Mark, that would be great. Looking so forward to arriving and diving. It would be great to have the clear water come through. See you when we get there. We are arriving on the Sunday hopefully by early afternoon. What time is the dive shop open till on Sunday, we will no doubt come in and organise everything for Monday and the rest of the week.

Deb

No Worries Deb.

The Shop is open to 5pm. What are your plans for this week? Diving on the first two on Monday?

Conditions are excellent and improving even more. The only down side is there are a few blue bottles on the surface so you have to be careful when you get in and out.

Heaps of over friendly Leopard sharks, Loggerhead Turtles and today I go to dive with a nice young Male Manta on both dives. I had my camera also and will try and post some pics later.

Regards Mark

Here are some unedited shots from this morning to give you a idea whats happening:

5437259833_b31468f149.jpg

5437260159_575fe03414.jpg

5437261107_9a509573b7.jpg

5437262573_a9dda37094.jpg

5437263933_429475214c.jpg

5437264221_d3f32e8d4a.jpg

Regards Mark

No Worries Deb.

The Shop is open to 5pm. What are your plans for this week? Diving on the first two on Monday?

Conditions are excellent and improving even more. The only down side is there are a few blue bottles on the surface so you have to be careful when you get in and out.

Heaps of over friendly Leopard sharks, Loggerhead Turtles and today I go to dive with a nice young Male Manta on both dives. I had my camera also and will try and post some pics later.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

We plan to do double dives on the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday if all goes well with weather etc. Photos are great, can't wait to get some shots. I have never dived around blue bottles. How dangerous are they and how do you avoid them? We normally dive without hoods in warm temperatures but given the blue bottles do you suggest we bring hoods and gloves?

Just love your shots... What depth are these photos taken at? The vis looks good.

Deb

Hi Mark,

We plan to do double dives on the Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday if all goes well with weather etc. Photos are great, can't wait to get some shots. I have never dived around blue bottles. How dangerous are they and how do you avoid them? We normally dive without hoods in warm temperatures but given the blue bottles do you suggest we bring hoods and gloves?

Just love your shots... What depth are these photos taken at? The vis looks good.

Deb

Hi Deb,

The water temp today was 26c but last week we had thermoclines down to 18c. I have been diving in boardshorts, sharkskin top, and a hood. I always wear gloves.

The blue bottles arnt dangerous but they can give a painful and annoying sting. The best way to not get stung is cover up and basically watch when you jump in. Jumping in and going straight down works well and same when coming up. Trying to spend as little time on the surface.

But looking at the forecast its looking good for this week. Winds from SE and East bring in blue water and its from that direction all week.

The pics were taken in a maxium of 14m and sometimes you can get a leopard shark sunburst in 5m of clear water.

Regards Mark

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements