hammerhead

Time lapse on the Kittiwake

Hi guys,

trying to get my head around time lapse imagery underwater. I have put together my first attempt visit:

Any advice on improvement would be appreciated - aprt from the obvious title and post film credits etc

C

I like the idea a lot; but I'm not sure it lends itself to a dive scene like this just because it makes it almost cartoonish, so really just has novelty value. I think it would be much more cool if you left the camera in one spot for say a day, so one could get the changing light, viz etc. I think using time lapse lends itself much more to changing light etc, than to just recording action which is probably better served by video

An interesting experiment Charles. Unfortunately the relatively fast action (divers, fish and bubbles) doesn't do the technique justice, IMHO. I'd be interested to know what rig you used.

CJ and I will see you on the 18th June when I know you'll have booked a couple of dozen basking sharks for us to play with...

Well I thought it was excellent. Loved watching the fish retreat to the hatch as bigger fish and divers appeared. Interesting study of diver behaviour around the wreck too.

Please do more, I've subscribed.

Funky! :( I think it would excel on slow moving subjects like starfish etc or on a reef with lots of slow moving activity. I've never been brave enough/had enough time to experiment with time lapse but I've often thought about it. Any tips/hints from anyone would be appreciated too!

Cheers, Simon

Funky! :D I think it would excel on slow moving subjects like starfish etc or on a reef with lots of slow moving activity.

Cheers, Simon

Like the sequence shot under Ice in the 'Life' series... All filmed on VIdslr's ... :(

Dive safe

DeanB

What frame rate were you shooting at? I think that makes a difference. Liked it tho

Steve

What frame rate were you shooting at? I think that makes a difference. Liked it tho

Steve

Taken with a D3 at 2fps then assembled at 30fps

Like the sequence shot under Ice in the 'Life' series... All filmed on VIdslr's ... :(

Never saw much of the 'Life' series as we were traveling, but yeah I guess that would work great. I wonder how the BBC thought of that idea without us! Lots of examples of where timelapse would be really cool. Imagine something like this crab aggregation shot in timelapse. Lots of different uses for it.

Cheers, Simon

i loved it! I thought it was very enjoyable and all the divers were inadvertently fantastically comical:) wish i had some clear water to do the same!

spencer

I wonder how the BBC thought of that idea without us! .

Cheers, Simon

:D

:(

Dive safe

DeanB

Like!

Would be great to repeat every 6 or so months and you could have an even interesting movie after a few years?

Edited by AengusM

Very cool. I've been attempting something similar on a Canon 7D with less than great results. I dodgy'd up a remote timer trigger to fit in the housing as the 7D stupidly doesn't have this feature built in.

I tried a few shots last week on the GBR, but couldn't really find a great scene. I can see why a wreck with plenty of divers is a good WA scene for this.

I'm not sure if the video stands alone, but would be a great value-add in a bigger video I think.

Loved it! That's the first timelapse I have ever seen underwater. Great idea and an interesting new perspective.

Now all we need is a DSLR that can shoot 24 frames (photos) pr. second and we'll be all set. My 7D can do 8 so I am sure were not far away. As a bonus I imagine that you will be able to fry eggs on your camera when you reach the surface :)

Loved it! That's the first timelapse I have ever seen underwater. Great idea and an interesting new perspective.

BBC used some time-lapse in Blue Planet series. Some great footage of battling corals...

Regards

Peter

Any advice on improvement would be appreciated - aprt from the obvious title and post film credits etc

Very innovative!

Not sure that recreational divers "exploring" a wreck is the best topic for time-lapse but it certainly captured my attention. The problem with the divers is that they look a little bit "ridiculous" swimming rapidly but apparently aimlessly. Sort of "keystone cops" style.

I'd love to see this techniques applied to marine life, like a cleaning wrasse or shrimp in a cleaning station.

What did you use to hold the camera still? Can you post a photo of the housing / tripod setup.

Regards

Peter

Sponsors

Advertisements