Sign in to follow this  
aprest

Canon 5D Mark II, Seacam Housing and dual Inon Z-220 strobes?

I have a new Seacam housing, a Canon 5D Mark II, dual Inon Z-220 strobes and S6 cables connected between the housing and the strobes. Everything works well with this setup in manual mode but I can't figure out how to make the modeling lights and LASER target lights to work the way they used to work with my Fuji S2 PRO and a Sea & Sea housing.

The Seacam hot shoe is configured with a single pin (the pin that doesn't have a mate) as recommended by Seacam for non-TTL manual mode. I can't find information about the pin outs for the Canon 5D Mark II and am reluctant to add additionall pins to the Seacam hot shoe without further information (I destroyed a Sea & Sea strobe a few years ago when I shorted some pins on the strobe by mistake).

Has anyone had success with a similar setup?

Art

If you are referring to eTTL, you cannot use it without a TTL converter such as the Sea & Sea, Heinrich, Easydive or a SeaFlash.

If you are referring to eTTL, you cannot use it without a TTL converter such as the Sea & Sea, Heinrich, Easydive or a SeaFlash.

I was not referring to eTTL. I just want the Inon Z-220 modeling and target lights to work as designed in manual exposure mode.

I can't remember the Z220 exactly but I know with target lights on shutter press on NON-TTL boards, you have to put a resistor on the strobe icb for it to work. But my memory is hazy. You may want to search the archives for that info.

The Seacam strobe icb, if from Seacam originally, is TTL compatible. So if you get a TTL converter, the lights should work as desired as it gives all the correct signals and mimicks TTL for the Z220. I remember the Heinrich Converter worked that way. Can't say for the S&S which is HW but a different firmware.

Also, if you put back all pins, you limit the sync shutter to 1/200 and below, vs 1/250 if you leave the pins out.

I remember the Heinrich Converter worked that way.

I wonder if the Heinrichs Weikamp External TTL Converter for Canon that used to be available from Reef Photo (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2355) might have solved my problem and given me eTTL capability as well. One of the people at Reef just told me that this converter is no longer available and that company is no longer in the business of making converters.

It is not clear as to whether the SEA & Sea converter would solve my problem and it doesn't have S6 connectors to mate with my Seacam housing.

I wonder if the Heinrichs Weikamp External TTL Converter for Canon that used to be available from Reef Photo (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2355) might have solved my problem and given me eTTL capability as well. One of the people at Reef just told me that this converter is no longer available and that company is no longer in the business of making converters.

It is not clear as to whether the SEA & Sea converter would solve my problem and it doesn't have S6 connectors to mate with my Seacam housing.

PM sent.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements