Sign in to follow this  
scottyb

How Widespread Are We?

One thing that shocked me while I was in Bonaire for 8 days was the lack of photographers. I did 1 boat dive and 2 - 3 shore dives per day, frequenting the dive shop for rinsing and exchanging cylindrs. Not once did I see another housed SLR, let alone DSLR. Although this was not surprising to me a year ago, I assumed there would be many by now. Last year I had the only housed DSLR on my Belize Aggressor trip but expect to see more next Feb.

I'm not complaining and it is nice to have the run over camera facilities. I'm interested in what others have found recently. Are they more abundant in other areas?

ScottyB,

I'm not surprised...When I was on Cayman Brac over Thanksgiving I had the only dSLR, too. There were a few CoolPix 5000 size systems. Most folks don't want to travel with all the stuff a dSLR system entails. Most divers are after a few memories and something recognizable and bright colored to show family and friends.

The dSLR market, especially for underwater is very small in comparison to point and shoot and mid-range digicams. dSLR housings are somewhat expensive and SLR lenses, surface flashes, adapters, etc. all add up to more than a "hobby". More like an obsession :D

I do expect to see more users in the next year with the new smaller Ikelite dSLR housing coming to market. This housing will fit the Canon D60, 10D, EOS 300D and Nikon D100 in early 2004, too. And likely the new Nikon D70 when it arrives.

Amazing times we're in!

YMMV

David Haas

dhaas@megsinet.net

www.pbase.com/dhaas

What a coincidence that you replied. I was just reading my Alert Diver and noticed that they published one of your photos in one of their reports. I love seeing familiar names in publication.

Congratulations.

Here in the US Virgin Islands

Over the past year I've seen very few pro-consumer digital cameras ie an occational 4040 or 5050, and not 1 single digital SLR has stepped on our boats.

Considering the number of divers we see on a yearly basis, it seems like digital has not yet made its mark on the gereral diving public.

Doug

There are 18 guests here at Wakatobi right now. Among the crowd, I think seven are shooting digital (dCamera count: 3 dSLRs, 4 Olympus 5050s, 1 Sony, and 1 Canon). Three are shooting film (plus a dive guide, who also shoots film), and one of them (Mark Blum) shoots 3D stuff on his custom film rig, which is really amazing.

When I was in Cozumel last month I was the only one on the boat with some kind of a fully housed still camera and strobes. There was an occasional diver with a video camera (without lights), but the few others with cameras were the plastic case, no strobe little Canon or Olympus p+s style. I would estimate less than 10% of the divers I was with for the week had any kind of u/w camera.

I think the difference is that many people who go on vacation to dive, dive only on vacation and aren't hard core divers/photographers addicted to year-round diving and photography the way most of the Wetpixel audience is. If you look at Eric's d-camera poll in Wakatobi, I would say that most folks there are quite dedicated to diving and photography to travel so far to enjoy such a rich marine environment. But places like the Virgin Islands, Bahamas and much of the Carribean are get-a-way destinations for vacationers who like to dive, vs divers on vacation.

By comparison, the ratio of divers to cameras in the cold waters of British Columbia is much higher than any tropical trip I've been on. People don't come up here for a refreshing dip in 42 degree water, they come up to dive and photograph the rich marine life that thrives in the current swept walls and pinacles. I haven't been to Cocos or the Galapagos, but I bet the same is true on those trips as they are frequented by the more hard core divers vs the simple warm weather vacationers.

We had 14 divers on the Galapagos Aggressor in Aug. Eleven shooting stills, no video except the DM's trip video. 2 DSLR's, 2 film SLRs, 2 w/Nikonos and 5 P&S digicams.

What I've noticed on a Caribbean 6 pack is usually one or two other divers may have a digicam and on rare occasions a video rig.

On Guam which is a popular dive destination for the Japanese. About 1 out of three Japanese divers have cameras. Last week during my 3 days on boats that carried 30 or more divers, I was the only one with a Digital SLR. The rinse bucked was overflowing with small Olympus and Sony Point and shoot Digital's . I only saw one Nikonos ( with a 12 mm fisheye and a single SB-105 - Yikes! :P ), a couple of Sea and Sea Motor Marine rigs, and only one film SRL rig ( Sea and Sea Eos kiss).

I usually had a crowd huddled around me as I gave a mini digital show on the way back to the dock. B)

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements