Sign in to follow this  
martys

The digital wave

So, I'm getting ready to sell my house next month and have been packing my office the last few days. After packing up literally thousands of images on slides and negatives I was struck that my collection suddenly stopped about year ago when I got my first DSLR. I've been shooting digital with various point and shoot cameras for quite a while, but always reverted back to my trusty Canon 1n and later the EOS3 for the "really important shots". Since I purchased my Canon 10D, I don't think I've pushed more than a couple of rolls of film through my other SLR bodies. I even sold my EOS 1n to help pay for the 10D and my EOS3 and other films cameras have been pushed to the back of my camera closet for some time.

I found a picture of my son I took a couple of years ago and tried to scan it before I packed up the loose negative with the others in the plastic storage box, but was bummed that my LS2000 suddenly was giving me a hardware error. It occured to me that I have not scanned anything in close to a year now that I shoot only digital. I used to scan all the time, now it sits on my desk, collecting dust and staring back like an old rotary telephone...

It struck me as funny that a change to single a piece of photographic equipment, like a DSLR will fundamentally change your image managmement and retention habits literally overnight.

My new collection of images resides on the hard disk taking up many gigabytes of storage. I suppose if I had the foresight and the time I would save them onto my DVD burner as I've been meaning to do since I bought it last year, but that's another story ;-)

Marty,

I'd be very interested in finding out what gear you use for archiving your digital work, ie software, storage hardware etc.

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements