Cal

Ghetto Cameras

Hey Crew,

A few people have pointed out that my current camera is a bit beyond its useby date. I still think it rocks.

SAM_3843.jpg

SAM_3844.jpg

I used a bandaid to seal shut the SD card slot last week. That was great.

Superglued the shutter button back on during a live aboard trip.

Completely flooded it in freshwater and then sat it under my feet infront of my car heater for a 2hr drive home and it still works perfectly.

Buya.

Anyone else have a ghetto camera?

Cheers

Cal

Looks like it's been caught up in a drive-by shooting.....

Always knew you were a "mack"-guyver :)

Gotta love bandaids! My 10-17 fell apart the same way, so I cut a bandaid into a couple of thin strips, and sealed her back up.

Keri

Its a common problem with 10-17mms!

My D700 has a big piece of silver duck tape up one side were the rubber door used to be (which I cut it off for some project).

Alex

haha glad I'm not the only one with ghetto camera problems!

I'll sticky tape it back together soon enough.

Alsky - Considering the designer style that i've put on the camera, the customized accessories, the aesthetic bonuses.......probably going to have to trade it for at least a phase one.........

I almost cried watching Cal screwing the dome on to his housing once, there really needs to be an SPCH.

Watching him win prizes all over the place just rubs the salt in.

Otara

haha arent you the guy who had a dome port fall just before a giant stride?????? :lol:

That poor camera may look like shite but it sure has been a trusty tool for you. How many shutter activations on it now??

What I really want to know is what has happened to your D90. Oh and I think my Camera hire fees have just gone up 500% :lol:

Cheers,

Jim.

PS how did the 10-17 zoom ring get that way??? I hadn't realized it was common for such issues with them.

Why would the 10-17s have such problems in the first place?

Steve

That makes me feel a little better. One of our 10-17s is doing the same as well. Wonder if Tokina knows they've got sub-par construction there.

I just discovered this myself with the 10-17. It happened as I was removing some spacer tape that was in place under my zoom ring. As I kept unwinding, the tape that is actually part of the lens stuck to my spacer tape and unwound resulting in a free floating zoom ring. Easily fixed though with some fresh tape.

Jimmy - "What I really want to know is what has happened to your D90" D90 was lost in the business breakup with me and the old business partner :lol: - its came down to a choice between housing or camera. I chose housing thinking I would get a cheap 2nd hand unit. Just never seemed to get around to buying a new d90 haha.

I didn't realize the 10-17mm problem was so common.

The zoom ring came off when I lived in Cairns and I assumed that it was a result of the heavy humidity ?

Cheers

Cal

Like many other lenses, the Tokina 10-17mm is a two part ring held with tape, and the combine effect of humiditty, warm temperature and frequent pull in and out of a zoom gear will looses the grip of the tape on these, it a simple fix, good Ole Sctoch tape will be perfect for this type of fix, the fact that the lens is so popular within our group makes it more obvious than with other lenses, incidentally this method of holding the focus and zoom ring together has been aroud at least since the early 80's, I can remember calibrating lens set up like this when I was working as a camera repair technician. It is normally a reliable method, it just that, as we all know, our working environment is not the kindest to camera gears :lol:

Cal, you should tape that baby back, not sure the lens apreciates having its butt exposed to sand :D

Edited by Viz'art

Sponsors

Advertisements