gina

Aquatica Housing adjustments

Hello,

I wasn't able to find this info on either the Aquatica website or here, but I understand there's an Aquatica rep around so I'm hoping he can answer my question :)

I have an Aquatica housing for a 5DMkII and am trying to put together a set of Allen wrenches for emergency adjustments when I'm away from civilization. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out? Any other tips for adjustment equipment I should know?

Thank you very much,

Gina

Hello,

I wasn't able to find this info on either the Aquatica website or here, but I understand there's an Aquatica rep around so I'm hoping he can answer my question :)

I have an Aquatica housing for a 5DMkII and am trying to put together a set of Allen wrenches for emergency adjustments when I'm away from civilization. Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out? Any other tips for adjustment equipment I should know?

Thank you very much,

Gina

HI Gina,

Imperial (inches) are what you need, starting at 5/64" worjking up

Hello,

Thank you very much,

Gina

1/4" for the grips

1/16" for the Dome shade

5/64" for the gears (and some knobs)

Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot, these folding wrench will have enough choice in there to cover most of you equipment (photographic or not) needs, also, please, please, please do not carry the wrench or allen key on the plane, it seem every once in a while we have to ship some replacement overnight to some poor sap who had them seized by some TSA agents gone over zealous.

Might you have a list of what size wrenches are needed so I don't have to buy full sets of both US & metric sizes to figure it out?

Thank you very much,

Gina

My experience is you need every size available, plus two more smaller ones that aren't available. :)

I think my D200 housing had 4,327 set screws. Every one of them was a different size. There was a 97% probability that you had to remove up to a dozen pieces in order to adjust the one you needed to adjust.

My 7D housing isn't as bad, I think, but I now have allen wrenches so small I can't even see them with my naked eye.

I hate set screws.

Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot

Yes but they rust :) If only someone was ingenious enough to make a stainless one :)

1/4" for the grips

1/16" for the Dome shade

Best is to get one of those inexpensive folding wrench at home depot, these folding wrench will have enough choice in there to cover most of you equipment (photographic or not) needs, also, please, please, please do not carry the wrench or allen key on the plane, it seem every once in a while we have to ship some replacement overnight to some poor sap who had them seized by some TSA agents gone over zealous.

Wonderful! Thanks very much, Jean & Scubysnaps.

-Gina

My experience is you need every size available, plus two more smaller ones that aren't available. :)

Ha ha! :)

1/4" for the grips

1/16" for the Dome shade

Jean,

What is the size of the set screws used in the FE dome shade (18480) and the older, heavier one (18482). I thought they were metric, but apparently not??

Harry

Jean,

What is the size of the set screws used in the FE dome shade (18480) and the older, heavier one (18482). I thought they were metric, but apparently not??

Harry

They are 1/16'', have been since I am working there, if for some reason, the older one should happen to be bigger, then it would be a 5/64'' size (same as the gears)

Agree with fellow canuck Jean on overzealous TSA guys going bonkers over Allen wrench... My personal experience happened with the Canadian equivalent of TSA... I'd call them SSA... stupid safety agent... Not all of them but some are leftovers from psychopath treatment... They seized my small SINGLE wrench.... 5mm, left in my carry-on. I also had two nice sets of TLC arms in the carry-on... you know those who can probably break your cranium.... and I did not have to hand them over... Rationale: Wrench is a "tool" and procedure says no "tool" allowed... Glad toothbrushes do not qualify as tools... :lol:

They are 1/16'', have been since I am working there, if for some reason, the older one should happen to be bigger, then it would be a 5/64'' size (same as the gears)

Jean,

I was asking for the size of the set screw, not the size of the wrench. Length, diameter and thread type, please.

Thanks.

Harry

here is the list of wrenches i keep for my 5DmkII housing. I went and bought wiha black and red handles hex keys from sears.

5/64"

1/16"

3/16"

1/4"

.050"

here is the list of wrenches i keep for my 5DmkII housing. I went and bought wiha black and red handles hex keys from sears.

5/64"

1/16"

3/16"

1/4"

.050"

I just came back from Cancun. Airport security there took my Allen wrench and 8 AA alkaline batteries - for whatever reason I don't know. Maybe I will keep my Allen wrench inside the housing underneath the camera next time. I am convinced sometimes these people just don't understand the rules at all. I even had them pull out their manual with photos of stuff not allowed. Allen wrenches and AA batteries weren't on the forbidden list but I didn't get my stuff back after I pointed it out. Such is life.

Andy

Sponsors

Advertisements