holloways

Price of used vs new gear?

What is the “rule-of-thumb” re: how much one could expect to pay for used gear. I know it will vary by condition and age – but is there a general rule of thumb out there? I’ve heard 25% of original purchase price is about the average for used gear due to the tough resale market. What do you think?

What is the “rule-of-thumb” re: how much one could expect to pay for used gear. I know it will vary by condition and age – but is there a general rule of thumb out there? I’ve heard 25% of original purchase price is about the average for used gear due to the tough resale market. What do you think?

That is way too low for high end housings in my experience but might be right for older cameras. My guess on high-end metal housings is more like 50% or a bit higher but I haven't done any calculations. A lot will depend on how rare the housing is and if someone needs it. I have sold a fair number of housings in the last 10 years and most have gone in the 60-65% of new range.

Bill

Having both bought and sold a lot of used stuff in recent years, I would say 50% for housings for obsolescent cameras (e.g. D70, D80), strobes (e.g. D50, DS125) etc, 60-65% for models that are still current.

I also agree that 60% is about right for a current model. For items that have not accumulated much mileage, perhaps 75%. For dated models, 50% or less.

Lenses and strobes tend to go for 65-75% of new value, I'd say. Well, lenses vary a lot by manufacturer, but for good lenses I'm easily willing to pay up to 80% of new, if the listing looks thorough and complete (all caps, original packaging, etc.)

Housings - especially for older cameras - will go for a lot less - 25% or so of retail. Bodies can go for a bit more, say 30-40%, depending on how old they are and whether they have any specific feature that gives them a 'following'. Or more if they're just one release 'cycle' old and the newer version of the line will also fit with perhaps minor modifications or controls missing.

Edited by rtrski

To give one example, I just sold a Subal housing for a D70 camera for $675. I bought it used at Reef Photo and Video for $1400. I'm guessing that the buyer paid me approximately 25% of what it had cost brand new. As it was, I recovered nearly 50% of what I paid for it.

I can still remember a conversation I had with a well known underwater photographer a few years ago. His comment was that the older cameras still take good pictures. It's just that everyone wants the latest and greatest and are willing to pay the price for it. But if one is willing to go with an older camera/housing, there are a lot of bargains around. The buyer of my Subal housing got himself a quality housing for an excellent price. Although the D70 doesn't have all the latest technology, he'll still be able to take some darn good pictures with it.

My two cents,

Ellen

To give one example, I just sold a Subal housing for a D70 camera for $675. I bought it used at Reef Photo and Video for $1400. I'm guessing that the buyer paid me approximately 25% of what it had cost brand new. As it was, I recovered nearly 50% of what I paid for it.

I can still remember a conversation I had with a well known underwater photographer a few years ago. His comment was that the older cameras still take good pictures. It's just that everyone wants the latest and greatest and are willing to pay the price for it. But if one is willing to go with an older camera/housing, there are a lot of bargains around. The buyer of my Subal housing got himself a quality housing for an excellent price. Although the D70 doesn't have all the latest technology, he'll still be able to take some darn good pictures with it.

My two cents,

Ellen

Great feedback… Thanks so much!

This is a summary of what I heard you say:

Depends on conditions and market demand of course – but in general:

Used but CURRENT gear: 60% - 80% of original price (housings on lower end, lenses and strobes on higher end of scale)

Used but DISCONTINUED/OBSOLETE gear (ex: DS125, D70/D80): 25% - 50% of original price (housings lower end, lenses and strobes on high end of scale)

I have all my Aquatica rig up at 70% of UK retail, its only a year old and fresh from a dealer service...and not one bit of interest :lol:

Sponsors

Advertisements